The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: passable Pernot Puligny

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: passable Pernot Puligny

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:08 am

A humid morning turned into a lovely cool afternoon and evening, we had panko crusted lemon sole and roasted Brussels sprouts on the patio with the 2006  Pernot "Clos de la Garenne" Puligny Montrachet 1er, Food was great, wine was ok. Rather fat, a bit of vanilla, much rounder and less mineral/acid driven than I expect from Pernot. Big, sweet pears, a little hazelnut. Not really New Worldish, just more like say a 03 village Meursault than an 06 Puligny 1er. Tasty, but not profound, and surprisingly ready. Will drink in nearer term. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

Re: WTN: passable Pernot Puligny

by Jacques Levy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for the note Dale, I am staying away from 2006 White Burgs for the most part. I do think that roasted brussels sprouts are not the ideal pairing with any wine, though.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:07 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:I am staying away from 2006 White Burgs for the most part..

I don't drink much white Burgundy from any vintage but a friend of mine turned me on to the 2006 Hubert Bouzereau-Gruère Meursault "Les Tillets" which has been very refreshing, even minerally, and quite fun. Although I guess I shouldn't cellar it too long.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:32 pm

I really love this recipe for BSprouts (halved, pan seared till edges browned , then into hot oven, finish with a little balsamic) but it's not the most wine friendly. But my opinion was formed as food was cooking, and with the fish.
I think there are some fine 06 white Burgundies,though some are for early drinking (which is mostly what I do with white Burg thse days anyway!). I hope my Pernot Batard is a bit sturdier than this! I also have some Jadots and Bernard Morey, think that's it. Inconsistent vintage, some are hot.
Rahsaan, that's a new producer to me.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:54 pm

Dale sprouts........"I really love this recipe for BSprouts (halved, pan seared till edges browned , then into hot oven, finish with a little balsamic) but it's not the most wine friendly. But my opinion was formed as food was cooking, and with the fish".

I love Brussel Sprouts Dale but guess could be problem with my buddies.
The customers at the Grill are a hardy bunch but one sprout on a plate with the other daily veg causes much mirth. I love to egg them on..'last night we also had turnip".
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:29 am

Dale Williams wrote:Rahsaan, that's a new producer to me.

New to me as well, although I wouldn't be considered the most avid white Burgundy follower. They are imported by Dee Vine in SF and this one bottling seems very promising for my palate. Although at $60 for this village Meursault I am reminded why I mainly spend my white wine money in other regions.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 am

Rahsaan wrote:New to me as well, although I wouldn't be considered the most avid white Burgundy follower. They are imported by Dee Vine in SF and this one bottling seems very promising for my palate. Although at $60 for this village Meursault I am reminded why I mainly spend my white wine money in other regions.

Wow, that's pretty aggressive pricing for a rather unknown producer. I paid $37 for the Pernot 1er, and $25-30 for some assorted 06 B. Morey Chassagne 1ers.