The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: The wines of Greece.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: A Tasting

by Brian Gilp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:OK Greek wine folks, I'm intrigued. Suppose you were planning a tasting of 4 whites and 4 reds for a group somewhat above average in wine tasting experience. The budget is + or - $120 for all 8 and they should be reasonably available in the US. What would the tasting menu look like?

I was very impressed with the basic Naousa from Boutari. I don't recall price but it was fairly inexpensive. Maybe $10.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Open Mike: The wines of Greece.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:53 am

Tim, so you did not get any earthy/musty aromas with your Agiorgitiko?!!
Yours seems to be a lot fresher than the wine I posted on the other day, mind you mine was an `03!!
Thanks for taking part in this OM, whats next (grin)!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:55 am

I think it would be of interest to sample this well-known red, or even better maybe to look for the Reserve. You might find it in your area Brian?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:52 am

Tim - nice notes. I think I may have had the same wine you're talking about...here's a link to my blog, check out the first picture:

http://kyrstyninkreta.blogspot.com/2009 ... nking.html

Your notes are a lot more detailed than mine, but from what I recall they're very on target.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Nice to see all the interest here, thanks everyone.
I have a heads-up from a local rep who brings in a few higher-end Greek wines. The store in question is a half hour drive!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:10 pm

http://www.kerasma.gr/default.asp?entry ... 8&langID=2

I seemed to have missed this link Tim when you originally posted. Very informative, well written up.
I have been told of a store that has up to 15 Greek wines on the shelf so taking an excursion tomorrow!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:41 pm

I missed that link the first time around, too. Very nice write-up! Wish I had known about the September festivities earlier...I would have probably tried to make it up there.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:09 pm

I hopefully hit the big-time today. After a tip-off I visited a cramped/bottles everywhere westend store and came across a`96 Metoxi from Tgantali. It is organic and a blend of CS and Limnio. Cost was $20, apparently a local well-known Greek restaurant features this red on the list so I would have to think it is quite drinkable!
They also has some Gaia for around $45 but I picked up an Alpha `05 Amyndeon for $30 and change.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:34 am

Sadly, the `96 Metoxi was over the hill so returning to the store. It had some sweetness still but was better 5/6 yrs ago. Cannot understand a restaurant listing this wine?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:*****I always considered Boutari to be an entry-level producer but am told there are a number of high end wines out there. Probably in Athens restaurants!

Don't be too quick to dismiss Boutari! I recently tried the "high-end" Assyrtiko, the Kallisti Reserve and found it almost undrinkable because of the massive oak. However I am just now sipping the entry-level, unoaked Assyrtiko and it is charming. I don't know about the reds (I haven't seen them here), but at least for the whites, I think the entry-level is very much worth trying.

WTN: Boutari Santorini 2007 Appellation of Origin of High Quality Dry White Wine (yes, it says this on the bottle in English); 13,5% abv; 13,15€ from the special order selection, so has to be cheaper elsewhere in the world! 100% Assyrtiko, unoaked.

Quite a deep yellow. The scent is really rather charming: ripe and forward, seems much like a warm climate wine except it has wonderful citrus aromas to bring balance to the fruit - it reminds me a bit of Albariño in this mix of the exotic and the crisp (though aromatically they do have a bit different profile). On the palate, it is rich and full bodied but wonderfully racy. Despite the fruit profile being that of a warm climate, the acidity is still pretty high - apparently a feature of this grape (if one can trust the Wikipedia article on it) is that it can retain high acidity despite great ripeness. I thought this was both great fun, stood up well to a chunk of tuna with capers and tomatoes and everything one shouldn't have with wine and was worthy of a little contemplation. Nice!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:35 am

What a coincidence Otto, I exchanged the aweful Metoxi for the Boutari Santorini white!! Not sure which vintage as I left it at the store until I pick up tomorrow. Edit.... I have the `08.

I will always remember the vines on the island...>

http://www.in-santorini.com/images/viti.jpg
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Had some dinner with the local vet last night, nice Lebanese joint. They had a very nice wine list, some tempting Musars.

WTN: NV Kourtaki Muscat of Samos, Aegean.

Owner says "I bring in from Montreal with the Musar". We had a glass with a sort of baklava dessert type thingy.
Dried apricots on the nose with some lemon and honey. Not too cloying on the palate, boytris, sweet, rich, low in acidity. I have to wonder how this will develope with some cellaring but would not put up alongside a Sauterne!! I can see some forumites just knocking this back from a half bottle.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:22 am

Otto`s notes on his `07 Boutari Santorini.....>

WTN: Boutari Santorini 2007 Appellation of Origin of High Quality Dry White Wine (yes, it says this on the bottle in English); 13,5% abv; 13,15€ from the special order selection, so has to be cheaper elsewhere in the world! 100% Assyrtiko, unoaked.

Quite a deep yellow. The scent is really rather charming: ripe and forward, seems much like a warm climate wine except it has wonderful citrus aromas to bring balance to the fruit - it reminds me a bit of Albariño in this mix of the exotic and the crisp (though aromatically they do have a bit different profile). On the palate, it is rich and full bodied but wonderfully racy. Despite the fruit profile being that of a warm climate, the acidity is still pretty high - apparently a feature of this grape (if one can trust the Wikipedia article on it) is that it can retain high acidity despite great ripeness. I thought this was both great fun, stood up well to a chunk of tuna with capers and tomatoes and everything one shouldn't have with wine and was worthy of a little contemplation. Nice!

WTN: `08 Boutari Santorini.

13.5% alc, $20 Cdn, good natural cork, purchased for the OM exercise.
Food was similar to Otto`s dish, halibut steak pan-fried with capers, green onions and diced tomatoes. It worked very well, I was surprised. The last glass I had a day later with some humus and that was a success too!

Color. Medium straw with green tints. I cannot say there was any yellow here?

Nose. Citrus, minerally. Does not appear ripe but did find some lycee. Green apple to forefront however.

Palate. Initial entry thoughts were dry, bracing acidity. I myself could not call this ripe, racy a better word! I thought close to a VV.
No effervescence, good structure, green apple on the finish. Have to wonder how this might develope but writer in new issue of Wines and Spirits seems to think 5 to 10 yrs? C`mon lady.
Otto`s `07 seems to be a tad more developed than mine but maybe our palates are just different!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I opened a 2007 Asyrtiko from Sitia Wines tonight, and enjoyed the funny description on the label almost as much as I enjoyed the wine:

This exceptional regional wine, is produced from the famous aegean variety asyrtiko. The solid and the sunlight of the mountainous province of Sitia with the low vintage, makes this product unique, concerning it's special organoleptic characteristics. It's gold-yellow bright, with special aromas of lemon, fresh fruits. It is full and untamed. Matches perfectly with greasy sauces and sea food.

I had never encountered the word "organoleptic" before, but found the following definition online: Organoleptic refers to any sensory properties of a product, involving taste, colour, odour and feel. Organoleptic testing involves inspection through visual examination, feeling and smelling of products.

Kind of sounds like what we all do here quite frequently :wink:

Anyway, my own impression is citrus and green apple on the nose, followed by a round, fullness on the palate containing notes of lycee, pineapple and more green, but very ripe and juicy apple. Plenty of acidity balances the fruitiness well. I've read that Asyrtiko has a tendency towards oxidation, and a preference for old oak. I think this producer got it right.

While I didn't serve it with a "greasy" dish, it was a very nice accompaniment to white fish in a ginger/curry cream sauce with roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli on the side.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 am

Organoleptic refers to any sensory properties of a product, involving taste, colour, odour and feel. Organoleptic testing involves inspection through visual examination, feeling and smelling of products.

This will make a nice trivia question, Jenise and Bill take note!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 am

I just came across this tasting/dinner on WineBeserkers. Looks like a great time for all those interested in Greek wines....>

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic ... 93#p146493

*** I hope posting this link is permissable?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:22 pm

It is great to see the interest here! I have probably a case and a half of assorted Greek wines in my cellar but the thing that frustrates me is that outside of Boutari and Santo, I cannot read the names of the producers or varietals because I cannot read Greek. Here is just one example...something that looks like Krnua Meqxoun. For all I know it could be the Fetzer of Greece or the Diamond Creek of Greece.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:58 am

Dave you kill me!! You make a very good point however, we need more international labels that we can all understand, LOL.
Previous