The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tavel and Montevertine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Tavel and Montevertine

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:43 am

Friday was a long day at work, and I was happy to get home. Warm but not oppressive, so we could grill and eat outside. I grilled some tuna steaks which we ate as burgers with a ginger-mayo (Bittman's column in this week's NYT dining section- very good for almost no effort). I felt like Sangiovese, and opened the 1998 Montevertine Toscana Riserva. Really reticent/tight at first, but eventually opened into a nice wine with dried cherry and black cherry fruit, moderately high acids, firm but fine tannins. Some earth and mineral. Quite nice, though the tannins could use a little time. Could easily go neck and neck with a lot of $60-75 Brunelli. B++

Tonight was the annual trip distributing needed items that the board of my organization does as a group (better to do what the organization does than some retreat); as I was the driver I limited myself to a half-glass of rosé with Betsy's panko/parmesan crusted pork chops and a some potato salad beforehand. The wine was the 2004 Domaine Lafond "Roc-Epine" Tavel (from a 375). Strawberry and bitter cherry fruit, surprising hint of sweetness, nice palate feel but a little short. B

I had a sip of each tonight at 1:15 as I returned home (with a late night snack of cheese). The Montevertine was surprisingly disjointed, the Tavel was a tad better than at dinner.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Tavel and Montevertine

by Jenise » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:58 pm

A few weeks ago I was invited to a Brunello event and was tempted to take a Montevertine Riserva in place of one Brunello because I thought it would show that well. Your note confirms that wasn't such a bad idea.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov