The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old school Aussie Shiraz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Old school Aussie Shiraz

by Salil » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 pm

This is why I really love Crush Wines. :D Was picking up some Keller von der Fels Riesling from them, then decided to nose around the other sections - and got shocked when I saw several bottles of 1993 Tyrrell's Vat 9 Hunter Valley Shiraz sitting in the Aussie section for about $30 (a wine that I rarely ever see outside Australia, and have never come across yet in the US on release - forget finding a mature bottle).

Fills all looked very good, provenance seemed excellent so I had to grab a bottle. Certainly wasn't disappointed when opening it.

This isn't the sort of Aussie Shiraz that some of us moan keeps flooding the US marketplace. 12.5% alcohol, and clear light brick red in colour, perhaps slightly past its prime but still very enjoyable with a fantastic aromatic profile showing red fruited flavours amidst notes of black tea, gravel, tar and leather. In the mouth it doesn't have the same depth or intensity of flavour that the aromatics show (hence my speculation that its best may have passed recently) - but the combination of raspberry, cherry, leather and earthy notes is still quite lovely, with bright acidity underneath keeping it lively on its feet and my only minor complaint being a slightly clipped finish.

A really great find, and the sort of wine I wish I could come across more often.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Old school Aussie Shiraz

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:12 am

Salil Benegal wrote:This is why I really love Crush Wines...several bottles of 1993 Tyrrell's Vat 9 Hunter Valley Shiraz sitting in the Aussie section for about $30 (a wine that I rarely ever see outside Australia, and have never come across yet in the US on release - forget finding a mature bottle).

That does sound like a great deal. And a nice wine.

provenance seemed excellent

How could you tell? It might be more accurate to say it had no obvious signs of damage. But you can't really know what happened to a bottle during its life unless you were there every step of the way. Which is why I always find it a bit odd when people talk about 'perfect provenance' for a wine they bought after release. Seems a bit overstated to me.