The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Stunning Schafer-Frohlich

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Stunning Schafer-Frohlich

by Salil » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

In NY catching up with some old family friends. Dropped by Crush yesterday to pick up something to take to dinner, decided on a 2007 Schäfer-Fröhlich Monzinger Halenberg Riesling Spätlese. Not much I can say here other than it's seriously awesome with a wild flavour profile ranging from pineapples and cherries to lilacs and spices and a palate combining tremendous power and richness with really good acidity and balance. Fantastic!
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: WTN: Stunning Schafer-Frohlich

by Mark Kogos » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Salil,

Excellent TN. I grabbed a few of these off a friend who brings them in. Out of curiosity, do you expect they will "go to sleep" and how long do you think they will last? I have picked up quite a bit of the 07 because it is my wee girls birthyear so I am hopeful one day we may legal share on together.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:30 am

There's no reason to believe that the 2007s won't follow the normal German Riesling curve, falling asleep in the next year or so & re-emerging in 2014-2017 ish.

As for longevity - the '97s (closest profile to 2007) are following the normal path, and the 2007s are better wines, so aging should be no issue. Whether your litte one eventually likes the taste profile of older German Riesling is another matter.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:04 pm

David

Thanks for that. I have only just started cellaring German rieslings in the last couple of years and knew I had seen someone post a development profile. In many ways, they are not dissimilar to cab sav. Thank you again for the post.

Regards
Mark
Miss dhem Saints.