The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: Some New England beers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

BTN: Some New England beers

by Keith M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:47 pm

A few beers from a recent stay in New England.

I had the chance to visit the headquarters of the Boston Beer Company--known by its mightily successful Samuel Adams beers. A very decent tour finished with a taste of three beers. It was very interesting to taste the Boston lager comparing it with my distant memories of it from bottle--freshness indeed makes a significant contribution. Also found it very interesting that only around 20,000 of Sam Adams' 1.2 million beers are actually made at the Boston location--most are made by cooperating breweries in Pennsylvania and Missouri. Very interesting flavor to the place, and though the Brick Red was the only one that captured my fancy, the beers were forthcoming with flavor.

• Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Boston, Massachusetts (vienna lager) - appears amber caramel with off white head, tons of lacing, smell warm caramel malt, mouthfeel tight carbonation, medium caramel thick, even and subtle carbonation, taste slight caramel, good balance, good flavor, tasty if a bit sweet and straightforward, acceptable

• Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Boston, Massachusetts (octoberfest/märzen) - appears dark red, thick cream head, smell slight grapefruit, nice freshness, mouthfeel slightly thick, good body, fantastic carbonation, very nice touch about it, taste great concentration of flavor, less caramel than I'd expect from appearance, tangier, good introduction, but despite the light bitter touch, doesn't go the distance, approachable, but one beer would not drive me to drink another

• Samuel Adams Brick Red. Boston, Massachusetts (irish red ale) - appears brick red, oddly enough--it really has that distinct color!, smell sweeter malt, rich spice, quite nice, but on the sweeter side of spices, mouthfeel thinner and focused, taste good broad base, not too rich, but still rather easygoing, darker drier finish, very likable, I'd drink this again, still on the easygoing approachable side of things, but tasty

A few bottles . . . and a growler.

• Cisco Brewers Sankaty Light. Nantucket, Massachusetts (american blonde ale) - appears deep golden brown, smell off-tart fruit, sweet tarts, slight mint, different and nice, mouthfeel heavier and thicker than expected, firm and even bubble flow, frothy, taste light easygoing hops, easy and soft, this is okay, not exciting but an okay crossover beer

• Cisco Brewers Whale's Tale Pale Ale. Nantucket, Massachusetts (american pale ale) - appears cloudy brown, amber, smell hopsy syrup, mouthfeel thin, tight carbonation, small feel, taste watery faint flavor, easygoing but lacks excitement, soft, okay but certainly lacks any interesting bitter qualities, falls short

• Cape Cod Porter. Hyannis, Massachusetts (american porter) growler - appears dark brown black, smell roasted earth, dark, slightly fruity, nice, mouthfeel thin with strong carbonation, taste earthy, nice, winey with chewy stems, good tarter side of porter, nice

And a cask-conditioned IPA and witbier on tap at Eli Cannon's Tap Room in Middletown, Connecticut, a fine place to drink beer . . .

• Berkshire Brewing Lost Sailor India Pale Ale. Deerfield, Massachusetts (english india pale ale) - appears orange gold, smell warm with lots of prunes,very soft, very nice nose, mouthfeel is medium thick with decent grip, taste warm even hops, refreshing, even cool at times, good balance and good crunch, nice, an ipa that works even on a summer day

• Allagash Brewing White. Portland, Maine. (Witbier/Belgian white) - appears grapefruit/pineapple gold, smells super warm, warmer citrus fruit, taste even grapefruit rind, clean, somewhat boring, but with even spices, some white pepper, firmly defined edges, fine beer
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: BTN: Some New England beers

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Keith, sorry we missed you this trip. Sounds like you did some excellent tastings.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Sam Adams no longer qualifies as a micro-brewery, but it has maintained a high level of quality while scaling up production. If you're in that area of New England again, see if you can visit Harpoon in Boston, or Smuttynose in Portsmouth, NH.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Sam Adams no longer qualifies as a micro-brewery, but it has maintained a high level of quality while scaling up production. If you're in that area of New England again, see if you can visit Harpoon in Boston, or Smuttynose in Portsmouth, NH.

I guess that's why 'craft' has replaced 'micro' as the nomenclature for 'interesting' beers, as it's the how that's relevant, not how much.

I visited Harpoon's operations up in Windsor, Vermont, and came away impressed a few years back. Smuttynose is on my list, as is Allagash. Any other brewers of particular repute in that neck of the woods?
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:08 am

Smuttynose is probably my favorite New England brewery, with Allagash and Ipswich (aka Mercury) certainly worth trying. Never been a big fan of Harpoon. The Berkshire beers sound good but I've never had a chance to try them. Sam Adams can be godsend when you are stuck somewhere where the choices are BMC, lame imports and Boston Lager. They also make some fantastic limited production beers like their Imperial Pilsner.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:13 am

We been zeroing in on Gritty McDuff's from Portland (ME) this summer. Their Black Fly Stout and Best Brown Ale are excellent. Even their Vacationland Summer Ale with it's hooky name is very hoppy and refreshing.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Brick Red. I usually avoid Sam Adams but sometimes they are the only beers available (usually when I am in a drinking establishment not of my own choosing).