The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

American Syrah?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Melissa Dawn

Rank

Just got here

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:33 am

American Syrah?

by Melissa Dawn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm curious, what are you looking for in an American Syrah?

Here's an snippet & link from an article that sparked my interest:

"Most American wineries have been rocked by the recession, but no category has been hit as hard as California Syrah. Sales for the variety have foundered, and many winemakers and Syrah enthusiasts are wondering why."

http://www.zesterdaily.com/drinking/syr ... risis.html

Do you agree that the California Syrah might be going through an identity crisis?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: American Syrah?

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Melissa - welcome to the board!

I have to agree with that assessment. I tend to stay away from buying syrahs I haven't tried or haven't had recommended by someone whose tastes I know are similar to mine. I really don't like the big, blowsy, ultra-ripe style and I hate paying for something I don't like. That said, I really like the ones I like and probably buy more of those than wines from any other single variety.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Melissa welcome, some great folks here!
A recent WS did a story on Syrah, will have to look it up (for what it is worth, grin). Many TNs here if you have time to do a search.Think you have highlighted an interesting article.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

BeenThere/DoneThat

by TomHill » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Melissa Dawn wrote:I'm curious, what are you looking for in an American Syrah?

Guess I'm not looking for/requiring of my Syrah to be anything specific, Melissa. I'm willing to let the Syrah speak
for itself...to be what the terrior and the winemaker want it to be. The Syrah talks to me...I listen.

Here's an snippet & link from an article that sparked my interest:

"Most American wineries have been rocked by the recession, but no category has been hit as hard as California Syrah. Sales for the variety have foundered, and many winemakers and Syrah enthusiasts are wondering why."

http://www.zesterdaily.com/drinking/syr ... risis.html

Do you agree that the California Syrah might be going through an identity crisis?

Hmmmm....I think the malaise of Calif Syrah is more driven by the economy than anything.
'Tis true that Calif Syrah shows much more diversity than it first did 30 yrs ago. But that's primarily because it being planted
in much more diverse locations than it once was. But I wouldn't attribute its malaise to the diversity in styles.
This is the same old argument that we heard 30 yrs ago w/ respect to Zinfandel. Oy.....they range from light Noveau Zin to heavy Port-style/
LateHrvts Zin. Stop...you're confusing the customer. Driven much be the complaints/whining of the critics of that day. And what did it gice us??
"Food-style" Zins of the early '80's. That pretty much killed the Zin market for almost 10 yrs. God forbid if "Food-Syrah" becomes the mantra
of the day. They can't do that to my beloved Syrah.
Thanks for the link, Melissa. Interesting article. Patrick always writes good/interesting stuff.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Edmunds St John on the label. :)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Dale Williams wrote:

Yes! I recently also tasted two early releases from Lagier-Meredith ('98 and '00 IIRC) that I won't mind seeing on the label.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Give them some time in the bottle (an $18 '03 Stolpman Estate was very tasty last month), don't expect Northern Rhone, accept the differences in style (from Carlisle to Alban) and you won't go far wrong.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Personally I'd stick to Southern France and South America for Syrah, and go rather for Petite Sirah from California. Or, if you want the hedonistic richness side, get a quality Australian. Cali Syrah to me doesn't offer anything that isn't done better elsewhere in the world.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:33 pm

What I'm looking for in American syrah is something similar to the wonderful Northern Rhone wines Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas, but without the horribly inflated price tag. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm finding.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:What I'm looking for in American syrah is something similar to the wonderful Northern Rhone wines Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas, but without the horribly inflated price tag. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm finding.

Except that Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas are not in the USA, so what you are seeking by definition should not exist. There are some lovely Syrahs (e.g. ESJ, L-M, Radio Coteau, etc.) but to expect them to be Northern Rhone wines is folly.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Harumph....

by TomHill » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:What I'm looking for in American syrah is something similar to the wonderful Northern Rhone wines Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas, but without the horribly inflated price tag. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm finding.

Except that Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas are not in the USA, so what you are seeking by definition should not exist. There are some lovely Syrahs (e.g. ESJ, L-M, Radio Coteau, etc.) but to expect them to be Northern Rhone wines is folly.

Harumph, David. It could very well exist...given the proper Site. Maybe it's just not been found, yet. There are some exceptional cold-climate Calif Syrahs that show some of that same cracked black
pepper character to sometimes find in C-R. There are any number of Calif Syrahs that show much of that same roasted/espresso/mocha character that you often find in C-R. And then there are plenty
of Calif Syrahs that show that unique expression that only Calif can give Syrah and the NorthernRhone boys cannot...unless they use a lot of new Fr.oak and make it like a LaLa.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:45 pm

I would call out Peay's cold Sonoma Coast Syrah as pretty well rocking my boat. From Napa, I've consistently enjoyed Haven's Hudson Vineyard Syrah...definitely not a fruit driven wine but very meaty and minerally and savory. Karen Cullen makes some great Syrahs (and her second label, Casaeda, rocks for the price) that are more "Californian" in richness but still delicious. :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Harumph....

by Lou Kessler » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:03 pm

TomHill wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:

Except that Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas are not in the USA, so what you are seeking by definition should not exist. There are some lovely Syrahs (e.g. ESJ, L-M, Radio Coteau, etc.) There are any number of Calif Syrahs that show much of that same roasted/espresso/mocha character that you often find in C-R. And then there are plenty
of Calif Syrahs that show that unique expression that only Calif can give Syrah and the NorthernRhone boys cannot...unless they use a lot of new Fr.oak and make it like a LaLa.
Tom

Is that last sentence an accolade or a criticism of CA Syrah. :?:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm not looking for a specific style, least of all a carbon-copy of a style from France or Australia.

I am looking for pricing restraint and whilst there may be a local demand for a limited production $100 bottle, I'm not likely to bite on anything that's more than £20 here, unless it has a solid track record and a clearly definable style (that I can decide whether it suits my tastes).

Managed to pick up a bottle of Columbia Winery Syrah (Yakima Valley Red Willow) recently, so after enjoying the restraint of the Otis Cabernet, have reasonably high expectations for this.

IIRC an Ojai syrah a while ago also impressed.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm

A couple of years ago, I spent a very enjoyable week tasting my way around Paso Robles which I was told was supposed to be the center of the Rhone renaissance in Cal. By asking for recommendations at the various cellar doors, I think I got to see a number of the top local examples. A number of the wines I found too unapproachable at such a young age despite the enthusiams of the people behind the counter with some really rough tannins over powering the fruit. I understand the economics behind the decision but many of the wineries should have held back their syrah and released them with more age. Nevertheless I did come away with some good memories including Tablas Creek and Saxum which the very friendly owner of the Sow's Ear in Cambria was kind enough to share with me once we got chatting after dinner.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Harumph....

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 pm

TomHill wrote:unless they use a lot of new Fr.oak and make it like a LaLa.

Simplifying the LaLa wines to just the use of new oak is the typical, knee-jerk reaction. I should not even respond to it as it does not deserve a response.

As for the "right site" why can't folks be content with a Syrah that does not taste exactly like some supposed archetype? Consider the idea that California is the ideal place for Syrah, and that the Northern Rhone is a pale imitation. I'm not saying that true, but the image of Syrah was formed by history, not by one site being right and another not.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:00 am

You ask two questions, one about American syrah and another more pointed about California syrah. I cannot tell if you consider them to be one and the same, but it's an important distinction to someone who lives in Washington state as I do where a considerable amount of quality syrah is being produced. So, what I hope for in American syrah but find a lot less often than I like is restraint--what I find too much of is higher alcohols. To the extent that California and Washington syrahs typically run 15% and over, I'm typically not buying. The wines of Edmunds St. John that others mention prove it's entirely possible--most producers just aren't choosing to make them this way. The only California syrahs I own at this point are ESJ and Dehlinger.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Dale Williams wrote:

Amen Dale! Amen.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Except that Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas are not in the USA, so what you are seeking by definition should not exist. There are some lovely Syrahs (e.g. ESJ, L-M, Radio Coteau, etc.) but to expect them to be Northern Rhone wines is folly.

I said something similar to Northern Rhone syrahs. Syrah does very well in California, but the smoky quality one finds in the best Northern Rhones just isn't there. Based on the comments from one winemaker I talked to, it would seem to be because of California winemakers' infatuation with squeaky-clean winemaking.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Are you people just totally unaware of the syrahs coming out of Eastern Washington and Southern Oregon?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:07 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Are you people just totally unaware of the syrahs coming out of Eastern Washington and Southern Oregon?

yes
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Are you people just totally unaware of the syrahs coming out of Eastern Washington and Southern Oregon?

yes

I like a man who knows what he doesn't know.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:12 pm

A few I have and recommend:

Anthony Dell, Del Rio Syrah
Cottonwood, Raya Jade
Cana's Feast Bricco Reserve, Willamette Valley
Rockblock, Carpenter Hill
Sejourne
Solena, Del Rio
Tyrus Evan, Del Rio
Viento, Cuvee R

That would be a start.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:40 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Except that Cote Rotie, Hermitage, and Cornas are not in the USA, so what you are seeking by definition should not exist. There are some lovely Syrahs (e.g. ESJ, L-M, Radio Coteau, etc.) but to expect them to be Northern Rhone wines is folly.

I said something similar to Northern Rhone syrahs. Syrah does very well in California, but the smoky quality one finds in the best Northern Rhones just isn't there. Based on the comments from one winemaker I talked to, it would seem to be because of California winemakers' infatuation with squeaky-clean winemaking.

-Paul W.

So you are not interested in what California has to offer because they practice good hygiene in the winery? Brett is not terroir.
Next