The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Giacomo Bologna Barbera Ai Suma

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 1997 Giacomo Bologna Barbera Ai Suma

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:11 am

1997 Giacomo Bologna/Braida Barbera d'Asti Ai Suma 14.0%
The late Giacomo Bologna tried to do for Barbera what Angelo Gaja did for Barbaresco, raising the grape's profile and achieving high scores from pundits and high scorns from traditionalists. I first tasted the powerful 1996 in a restaurant in Italy in the late 90s, when my taste was still a baby, and was very impressed, almost intimidated.

We've been going through a case of the 1997s slowly over the last three years, and every bottle has been very good, when not impressive. Aromas from bottle VII are elegant and complex, with leather, oak, plums, blackberries, chocolate and iodine. Good acidity, well integrated alcohol, with aged tannins that are soft and clear. The oak feels very much in balance with the rest, like a subtle condiment. Overall, the impression is of excellence and harmony, showing how even modern styles are capable of ageing gracefully and how time can profitably attenuate the differences between modern and traditional.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1997 Giacomo Bologna Barbera Ai Suma

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks for the note. While I am certain there are those who would decry the modern style of this wine I am glad to see you judging the contents rather than the stylistic choices (says someone who likes Barbera from Conterno and La Spinetta).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Re: WTN: 1997 Giacomo Bologna Barbera Ai Suma

by Agostino Berti » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 am

Nice note Oswaldo. Makes me want to drink some of that stuff! Pretty impressive that its holding up at 12 years- I don't think many Barberas manage to do that without hollowing out a bit.
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus