The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Top 50 most collected wines in Australia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: Top 50 most collected wines in Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 am

Jenise wrote:This post caused me to buy a few bottles of the Parker First Growth today at $29 per.

Jenise, I am interested to know which vintage you got. There have been a few good ones recently. There is something very wrong however with the Australian pricing and approach to taxation of wine. Sadly I have not tried the Parker First Growth as it costs close to $100 down here. It guts me to think you can access it for 1/3 the price I paid even with the FX difference. Personally I leave most good Aus cabs for 10-12 years to let them mature and develop. It is part of my toaster in the airport lounge philosphy.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:10 am

Jenise wrote:This post caused me to buy a few bottles of the Parker First Growth today at $29 per.

Cool! Where did you find that?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:49 am

It was today's offer at Garagiste, Salil--are you off their mailing list now?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Dropped off a while ago. Oh well, not to worry - Crush Wines in NY just got in some 1993 Tyrrell's Vat 9 Shiraz from Hunter (12.5%!) for $30. That'll take care of my Aussie fix. :D
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Mark Kogos wrote: It is part of my toaster in the airport lounge philosphy.

:lol:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:39 pm

An absolute "steal", Jenise. Good job.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:48 am

Mark Kogos wrote:

Jenise, I am interested to know which vintage you got. There have been a few good ones recently. There is something very wrong however with the Australian pricing and approach to taxation of wine. Sadly I have not tried the Parker First Growth as it costs close to $100 down here. It guts me to think you can access it for 1/3 the price I paid even with the FX difference. Personally I leave most good Aus cabs for 10-12 years to let them mature and develop. It is part of my toaster in the airport lounge philosphy.

I bought either the 04 or 05, not sure which. Aussie wines are an incredible deal here right now, and there have been more than a few distributor close outs as certain dealers drop out of the business in this tough recession market. An attentive person can get some screamers--I recently missed out on the John Riddoch at $15 or $20 per, then passed on the Michael at the same price because I just didn't want more Syrah. My neighbor was bragging to me today about buying a case of the Shirvington cab (or maybe it's a cab blend) for $12 including tax. It's this environment that made the price on the Parker First Growth possible.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Jenise wrote: I recently missed out on the John Riddoch at $15 or $20 per,

Heavens that would have been an amazing bargain. Wynns have really been working hard on their vineyards recently to get the standard of their cab sav back up again. I have put some of the JR 04 down for some time around 2020 but it cost me close to $70.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:51 pm

I was in my local retailer this weekend and the entry level Mollydooker were there (and yes, I bought a bottle of so of each) and we got to talking about the limited range of Aussie wines coming into the US and the lack of hard promotion that is going on; actually has always been lacking. I mentioned to him that a recent email from Mollydooker has a link to what I guess is turning out to be an annual Mollydooker tasting trip around the USA by Sparky (and his mum) which starts mid-Sept and goes into early Nov. Now I know that there are quite a few folks who boo-hoo the Mollydooker wines but you can't fault these folks for the effort they put into selling them. There are a lot of Aussie wineries sitting a home complaining about how bad their business is who could do a lot worse than follow the Mollydooker example in getting their wines onto the world market.

Mike
Previous