The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1986 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: 1986 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 pm

I bought this on futures and it has been in my temperature controlled cellar at 56-57 degrees F since I took delivery.

The color is very deep purple, only slightly redder than a very young wine. There is no sign of the brick color of old wine here. The aroma is very complex, with lots of black fruit and some oak. In the mouth, one gets a lot of blackcurrant and cherry flavors, complex, intense, and elegant. There are unresolved tannins in the long finish. The wine was decanted 1/2 hour before serving, and improved markedly in the glass. I conclude from all this that the wine is still coasting upward to its plateau of maturity. It is very fine now, especially with food (we had it with steak), but there is certainly no hurry to drink it up, and indeed it likely will benefit from a few more years aging.

Double curly moe (triple curly potential here).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: 1986 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

by Ryan M » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Would you say it lives up to its reputation?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I bought this on futures and it has been in my temperature controlled cellar at 56-57 degrees F since I took delivery.

Boy, talk about deadpan! :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Yes, I think it does live up to its reputation. It certainly seems to be living up to the early predictions that it was a wine structured for the long haul that would take quite some time to come around. Does it deserve the 100 point scores it's been given by some critics? I wouldn't call this bottle opened at this particular time a perfect wine. If the tannins resolve and the wine opens up some more, maybe. I think the potential is there. It is certainly excellent Bordeaux.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 pm

For comparison's sake, my own most recent tasting note.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac, 1986: No reason to take back any of the good things I have said in the past about this wine in the past. As predicted, still tight and far from fully ready, but as always showing exquisite balance and structure. Tobacco and cedar wood still showing on first attack, those yielding at first to hints of espresso coffee and berries, and finally opening to reveal intense currant, berry and black cherry fruits. Concentrated, intense and waiting patiently to open and reveal its full glory. Approachable by 2007 but best from 2012 and with no fear for its future, for this one will cellar comfortably until 2040-2050. Score 99. (Re-tasted 8 Apr 2003)