The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Remy Three Wives Red Blend, 2007, OR

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Remy Three Wives Red Blend, 2007, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:50 pm

I commented on this wine once before, after trying it at La Rambla restaurant in McMinnville, OR.

It was so good, I looked around locally and found it on the shelf of Roth's grocery store here in town. Bought it. Drank it over a couple of nights.

This is great wine, folks! A blend of 50% Syrah, 13% Sangiovese, and 37% Lagrein, it has the soft blueberries of Syrah, a little of the lean acidic tightness and tart cherry of Sangiovese, and the whomping big, dark, black, herbal tea and blackberry and black pepper of Lagrein (about the closest analogy I can come up with is: think a big inky Petite Sirah). This is from a small plot of Lagrein in OR (and I understand Remy also does a varietal Lagrein in very limited amounts, which now I'm going to have to buy, budget be damned!).

I am really taken with this wine, and am adding it to my current house fave list. Super stuff, and super adaptable to a wide range of foods; it has that chameleon quality of accommodating itself to different flavors and spices so that it can whisper, or shout, as the occasion requires.

The good news for all you folks out there is that Avalon Wines in Corvallis carries the Remy Three Wives Red (and the Lagrein), and they do a respectable internet/mail order business----so this stuff is available to you...well, if you live in a right-thinking state, that is.

So in an unabashed commercial ploy (and I have nothing to do with this site, or the winery, other than as a lover of the wine), go to Avalon Wines here http://www.avalonwine.com and check it out.

Fair notice: I plan to deplete the inventory on this stuff as much as I can.