The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blackbilly Shiraz McLaren Vale 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

WTN: Blackbilly Shiraz McLaren Vale 2006

by David Mc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 pm

I picked up this incredible Australian Shiraz for a reasonable $25. It was very smooth and silky, with moderate tannins and a long finish. It was also a bit "sweet", even though the alcohol content was 14.5% (I've had some Zins with that amount and it tasted like they poured in rubbing alcohol). Had it with a nice, juicy steak. I can't really discern individual taste notes in most wine (well at the price I pay anyway) but I did pick up a hint of blueberries.

Which leads me to a question: is there an "Australian-style" Shiraz, much in the same way some Sauvignon Blanc is made in the New Zealand style (Exhibit 1: Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc).

Dave
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: WTN: Blackbilly Shiraz McLaren Vale 2006

by Matilda L » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Dave

The answer is "yes" ... although these days we might say "styles" rather than a single "style". A wine style (from anywhere) is an extension of what comes out of the ground. If a particular grape behaves in a particular way in a particular place, the wine maker can capitalize on that by developing wine that is built around those characteristics. http://www.winediva.com.au/grapes/shiraz.asp gives a quick summary of what might be meant by "Australian style" with regard to shiraz. The article tends to enthuse rather than describe, but if we look at what the writer is actually saying, she makes points that lead to the formation of an Australian style for this variety.
1. It has the ability to get very ripe (which can produce concentrated flavours and high sugar)
2. It thrives in, and responds to, a variety of climatic conditions (which enables variation in style across the country)

Blackbilly is a mid-range wine from McLaren Vale, just down the road from where I am writing. It has hot dry summers, and the shiraz that comes out of that region typically tends to be of the opulent, silky, highly flavoured type.