The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds

by TomHill » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Dinner w/ Steve & Cornelia (8/18/09)
Usually when I arrive in Oakland, I meet up w/ SteveEdmunds and Oliver McCrum for lunch
at BayWolf. Because of our late arrival, Susan & I instead met up w/ Steve & Cornelia for
dinner that night at BayWolf. As is usually the case, the food was excellent...the company
even better. We had:
1. TablasCreek GrenacheBlanc (15.3%) 2005: Med.gold color; very strong gout de petrol/
minerally rather Riesling-like some nutty/old Rhone beautiful complex nose; tart minerally/
petrol/R-like rather nutty/toasted hazelnuts very minerally lovely flavor; very long/
lingering minerally/floral/petrol/R-like nutty/old Rhone complex finish; very much like
a minerally Riesling; lovely complex wine at a great price. $21.00
toasty/toasted coconut nutty/oxidized finish; loads of toasty oak and alcoholic/overripe
character; time has not been kind to this wine. $80.00
bricking; beautiful/complex Rhonish/very CdP/smokey/pungent very perfumed/aromatic nose; soft
complex roasted/smokey/pungent/Rhonish old CdP smooth old CdP flavor; very long smokey/pungent/
roasted/complex smooth/rich finish w/ light tannins; a beautiful/complex wine much like an older
CdP; drinking wonderfully; rich & powerful w/ no signs of going over the hill.
flavor; very long/lingering smokey/pungent/roasted/espresso/mocha complex finish w/ a bit of tannic
bite in the backtaste; not exactly old CoteRotie but a beautiful/complex mature Calif Syrah.
and strengthened by stainless steel rebar. After they are moulded, they are filled with a
concentrated tartaric acid solution to render them inert. VinoVessel is a company that was
started in PasoRobles by a guy in the construction biz, Micah Utter, at the behest of the two
Beckett boys at PeachyCanyon. Steve has become their rep for NorCal
of his fermentors. The following day at WindGap w/ PaxMahle, he showed me the French-made
concrete fermentors that he uses. They were a dead-ringer for FatMan, with the fins on the
wrong end. Steve first became interested in concrete fermentations when he had the Domaine
StAnne wines, which are fermented in concrete. http://www.VinoVessel.com is their Site.
it was. Went great w/ the TunaNicoise. When this wine was first released, it was on the light
and underwhelming side. But it has put on weight over the yrs and has really become quite a tasty
wine now. And should continue to age well for another 5 yrs or so. This wine was labeled by one
famous critic as "a low-brow Cotes de Rhone". Guess I just got low-brow tastes because I sure
loved this tasty wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Digging into your pulpit, I had the '05 Rocks & Gravel last week & low brow it was not. IT was fantastic stuff that made me happy & the non-geeks so happy that I only got about a 1 ounce pour (which made me not so happy).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: WTN: Dinner w/ SteveEdmunds

by Doug Surplus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:21 pm

I got some of the 05 R&G from Steve in December and it has even put on some weight since then.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?