The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Paranga Kir-Yianni

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: 2004 Paranga Kir-Yianni

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 pm

From Macedonia, a blend of Xinomavro and Agirotiko, grown by Yiannis Boutari, the grandson of the founder of Boutari.

Pale garnet.
Intense aromas of strawberries, cola, plum and spice (cloves). After sitting a bit, distinct notes of cocoa emerged.
Velvety, mid-level tannins that taste woody.

The label describes it as light and spicy, with which I agree, but there is something rich about this wine that bumps it out of the "light" category for me. One of the more complex noses I've experienced in my Greek wine odyssey so far. Very nice. Around 10 euros.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Paranga Kir-Yianni

by Brian Gilp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:27 pm

I have not seen this on the shelfs locally. We get some Kir-Yianni down here (S. MD) and I buy almost everything I see so I will keep looking. Sounds good.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 am

I actually bought this -- even the same vintage -- at MacArthur for $10. I've enjoyed several vintages of Kir-Yianni's Ramnista bottling (100 percent Xynomavro) and was interested in trying this cheaper blend. I liked it, too. My notes say "Very pleasant black cherry and herbal aromas and flavors," for whatever that's worth. And it did go great with garides saganaki.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Bruce K wrote:I actually bought this -- even the same vintage -- at MacArthur for $10. I've enjoyed several vintages of Kir-Yianni's Ramnista bottling (100 percent Xynomavro) and was interested in trying this cheaper blend. I liked it, too. My notes say "Very pleasant black cherry and herbal aromas and flavors," for whatever that's worth. And it did go great with garides saganaki.

hehehe, funny how different people perceive things differently, isn't it? Although my tasting of late has not been very focused so I'd trust your impressions more than my own right now! Interestingly, I had actually written black cherry as my very first note, but upon second and third inhalations changed it to strawberry:=)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote:hehehe, funny how different people perceive things differently, isn't it? Although my tasting of late has not been very focused so I'd trust your impressions more than my own right now! Interestingly, I had actually written black cherry as my very first note, but upon second and third inhalations changed it to strawberry:=)

I say tomato, you say tomahto, I say black cherry, you say strawberry . . .

When I get into the cherry/strawberry thing, it's kind of "tastes like chicken" -- never been all that good at precise descriptors. Indeed, my tasting of late has not been focused nor has my note-writing been particularly rigorous, so don't trust my impressions whatever you do. Besides, you might have opened the special Cretian cuvee!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 pm

No, Bruce...I revisited this tonight and totally got what you were saying (especially about the herbal notes). It even prompted a philosophical (although kind of silly) blog post:

http://kyrstyninkreta.blogspot.com/

I realize that perceptions can vary greatly from individual to individual, even with the pros. I think that's why forums like this are so great..they allow us to share perceptions and open up new ones we may not have previously considered :)