The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Semillon, spiced up hummus and chicken schnitzel!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Semillon, spiced up hummus and chicken schnitzel!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:50 am

La Frenz of Okanagan fame are recognised for their whites so thought it time to pull the `04 Semillon out of the cellar. I recently tasted the `07 which was rather yummy and had been inserted blind in an Oz line-up. More tropical fruit showed on the Frenz than many from the Oz selection. Vastly different styles/climate/terroir of course.

WTN: `04 La Frenz Semillon Naramata Bench BC, Canada.

Synthetic cork, cellared for 4 yrs, $25 Cdn, 12.5% alc. Wax cap, no foil. 10% Sauv Blanc blended in I believe.
http://www.lafrenzwinery.bc.ca

Color. Deepish lemon verging on a light gold/looks really attractive.

Nose. Peach, white stonefruit, brief hint of grass and gooseberry but very much tropical fruit. After an hour found some spice, quite aromatic.

Palate. Initial entry thought was ripe fruit, lively acidity, fresh and crisp. Allowed wine to warm up a little, starfruit, pear and nectarin.
I think this white has cellared nicely but have to wonder if earlier notes were all that different? Does not have that oily/waxy note one can find in some Semillons but then I have no real experience with this varietal of late. Discuss?

The wine went well with my roasted red pepper hummus as well as a tasty chicken schnitzel with tomato and red onion salad.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Semillon, spiced up hummus and chicken schnitzel!

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:03 am

Relieved to hear that it withstood 4 years of synthetic cork.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Synthetic cork, cellared for 4 yrs,

brave, brave man...

a tasty chicken schnitzel with tomato and red onion salad.

Is this an Alberta specialty? The sound of it reminds me of something we had growing up called 'City Chicken', which was a breaded boneless chicken on a stick, and pretty unkown outside of Binghamton NY.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:12 am

Mark writes.....Is this an Alberta specialty? The sound of it reminds me of something we had growing up called 'City Chicken', which was a breaded boneless chicken on a stick, and pretty unkown outside of Binghamton NY.

Funny guy! Breaded chicken breast and pan-fried for you lot out east.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Mark writes.....Is this an Alberta specialty? The sound of it reminds me of something we had growing up called 'City Chicken', which was a breaded boneless chicken on a stick, and pretty unkown outside of Binghamton NY.

Funny guy! Breaded chicken breast and pan-fried for you lot out east.

Like every schnitzel. :)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Mark S wrote:Is this an Alberta specialty? The sound of it reminds me of something we had growing up called 'City Chicken', which was a breaded boneless chicken on a stick, and pretty unkown outside of Binghamton NY.

I thought the mid-NY "city chicken" was in fact pork?
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:07 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Mark S wrote:Is this an Alberta specialty? The sound of it reminds me of something we had growing up called 'City Chicken', which was a breaded boneless chicken on a stick, and pretty unkown outside of Binghamton NY.

I thought the mid-NY "city chicken" was in fact pork?

Aw Dale, you're correct. It is/was pork. I was having a 'senior moment'. What is this culinary masterpiece doing in NYC though>? perhaps that's why we called it 'city' chicken, because it came from NY? Interesting. I like tracing food etymology.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:42 am

Mark,
I never have seen it in city. My scant knowledge comes from people who grew up or went to college in Binghampton and Ithaca.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 am

Alberta, Shmalberta! Binghampton, Shminghampton! The true home of the chicken schnitzel is Israel and the truest connoisseurs of chicken schnitzels are Israelis. Any rumors to the effect that the chicken schnitzel originated anywhere else is simply anti-Israeli, anti-Semitic, and anti-truth. Probably in fact, an Iranian plot, part of their nuclear program.

Want proof - no problem. Read the Old Testament. When Moses and his followers crossed over into Sinai what did they eat? No..t'was not mannah. T'was chicken schnitzels.

Hah! Despite tales to the effect that felafel is the national food of Israel, the favorite dish of the vast majority of Israelis - including immigrants from the former Soviet Union, Ethiopia, the U.K., South Africa and yes, even Tanzania - chicken schnitzels!

Anyone successfully unwinding the truth from the fictions stated above wins (on their next visit to Israel) a chicken schnitzel, that on a pita bread together with shredded white and red cabbage, humous, and, if so desired a sauce hot enough to make you understand why there are tales of fire-breathing dragons.

Best
Rogov

P.S. Directly across the street from the offices of my newspaper is a newly opened schnitzel joint. Best schnitzels in town.I am at the paper once every month or two. Was there two days ago. Ate a buncha schnitzels.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:47 am

Bing-HAM-ton fellas ... no "P" (it's not on the seacoast). New York City people always get this wrong. :evil: