The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lesser known Austria and Germany

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Lesser known Austria and Germany

by Saina » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 pm

I was invited to taste through a single blind set of Austrians from mostly lesser known producers and grapes. But, as usual, we started with a double blind wine - probably the only "mainstream" wine!

Nikolaihof Grüner Veltliner Vinothek 1993

A lovely wine, perhaps not as good as the 1991 but still a joyful, extremely youthful drink (guesses ranged from 2005 to 2008!), mineral, perhaps a bit shy but still showing as a very classy drink. Elegant and acidic, though very light on its feet it seems to have more body than a cursory glance might notice. Needs time.

Then we had the main set, single blind:

Weingut Leo Aumann Rotgipfler Flamming 2007 Thermenregion Label

This was spicy and peppery; rich and concentrated and alcoholic - it reminded me rather of 2006 GVs! Nice wine in small sips but lacking the refreshing notes that I would want in a wine that I would drink. This was the first Rotgipfler I have had so I don't know if they are supposed to be so heavy and alcoholic and aromatically like a hot year GV?

Weingut Schellmannn Gumpoldskirchner Cuvée 2008 Rotgipfler + Zierfandler; Thermenregion label

Apparently a dry blend of the two grapes is exceedingly rare. But in this wine, it worked. It smelled of rosewater and steel, mineral and floral. Dry, crisp, mouthwatering despite a floral scent promising sweetness. Quite long. Very nice.

Weingut Steinschaden Frühroter Veltliner 2008 Langenlois, Kamptal label

Aromatically this was rather like the Schellmann except more prominent on the rosewater sweetness, less on the minerality. Fair acidity but still shows too much of the sickly sweet rosewater character (though fully dry) that I would ideally like. Perfectly nice but not as lovable as the others.

Weingut Rabl Gelber Muskateller 2008 Langenlois, Kamptal label

A grapey scent, obvious Muscat - smells just like Moscato d'Asti so it was a slight shock to the system when it was fully dry, crisp even with plenty of minerality. Sadly, the alcohol (I didn't note how much it was) did show through a bit. But a fun wine anyhow!

Weinbau Holzmann Roter Muskateller 2008 Bad Pirawarth, Weinviertel label

This was my favourite of the three Moscato d'Asti -smellalikes. Pure, mineral Muscat goodness, with even a touch of spritz initially, dry and clean and refreshing with none of the noticeable alcohol of the Rabl. Joyful.

Weingut Steininger Gelber + Roter Muskateller 2008 Langenlois, Kamptal label

Also a crisp, pure Muscat, but a bit shy aromatically. Good acidity, crisp, citrussy acidity. Nice!

Weingut Birgit Eichinger Roter Veltliner Stangl 2008 Langenlois, Kamptal label

First a 10€ ex-cellar example which was nice. It had a sweet and spicy scent, again reminding me of hot year GV except this had a coppery aroma to it and also a strange, but likeable, savoury scent that I couldn't quite put my finger on (maybe ketchup?). Full bodied, mineral and well structured so it could cope with the copious fruit. Nice!

Rudi Pichler Roter Veltliner Smaragd 2008 Wösendorf, Wachau label

But the 28€ ex-cellar Roter Veltliner was IMO a far better wine than just nice! (But yes, I do think 28€ ex-cellar is a bit much for it!) This also had the spicy, coppery scents of the Eichinger, but without any strange aromas. It was delightfully earthy and I kept thinking it was almost like a red wine in its aromas. Intense, strongly fruity but equally strongly structured with an earthy finish, savoury yet ripe and rich. Though incredibly rich as one expects of a Smaragd, it is moreish. Exciting wine!

For an un-blind finish we had Musterweingut Josef Loimer Weissgipfler Alte Reben Auslese 2000 Langenlois, Kamptal label

Our host told us that Weissgipfler is the same as Grüner Veltliner! Why two names in the same area for the same grape? Frankly, I thought this wasn't a terribly good effort: some sweet fruit; medium sweet (25g/l RS), low acid, even a bit watery.

If that was the finale, gladly the coda improved things!

Double-blind German reds:
Alois Hofmann Tauberschwarz <R> Propstberg 2007 Franken, Taubertal label

Tauberschwarz is an interesting grape. The first mention of it is from 1559. As far as is known, it originates from Weikerheim, Franken - but since it was almost totally wiped out, its history is mostly uncertain. After a harsh winter in the 1950s a grower found 400 vines that had withstood the frost. He became interested in the grape and planted more of it. In 1986 there was apparently only 1 ha of it; now there are c.12 ha.

The <R> sadly sees Barrique and being rather oak averse, I didn't really enjoy it. I have a hard time smelling past oak so I can't say much about the aromas, but the palate did have very nice, refreshing acidity.

Alois Hofmann Tauberschwarz Röttinger Feuerstein 2008 label

This is the unoaked version and the one I much preferred. I think the closest vinous comparison I can make is to unoaked Sangiovese: bright, crisp red fruit aromas, sandalwood - yet it is juicier than any Sangiovese I have had. It is also wonderfully (some might say painfully) acidic - perhaps a hypothetical cross of Blauer Wildbacher and Sangiovese is what it is like! Anyway: lovely structure, lovely bright berried fruit, unlike anything else I have tried - and a wine I very much enjoyed!

Weingut Becker-Landgraf Im Felsenkeller Spätburgunder J2 Gau-Odernheimer 2007 Rheinhessen label

This is dangerously drinkable! It seems like a "natural" wine, bright, light, vivacious, This is their basic Pinot Noir. I thought it seemed like the Foillard CdP '07 I had recently in London! Awesome stuff. There is only problem with the wine: it evaporates from my glass far too fast. :)

I recently tasted two dry Rieslings from this producer and was quite impressed by them, too. Anyone heard of them or tasted them? It seems like a producer that I would want to find more of - especially this Spätburgunder if it really costs only c.10€ ex-cellar!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Lesser known Austria and Germany

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Ok you've got me stumped on all but three. The Nikolaihof, the Rudi Pichler and the Becker-Landgraf are all familiar to me, but the rest not so much.

Thanks for the notes & data points.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok you've got me stumped on all but three. The Nikolaihof, the Rudi Pichler and the Becker-Landgraf are all familiar to me, but the rest not so much.

Thanks for the notes & data points.

David stumped!!! That makes an excellent start to my Tuesday.

Bob
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 am

If David's stumped on a German-Austrian thread the rest of us will be pretty much clueless. ;)
Looks like a really interesting tasting - certainly seem to be a lot of off the road experiences that at least for me are well out of my frame of reference.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Just a further clarification: The Tauberschwarz Propstberg is in Markelsheim, Franken, while the Röttinger Feuerstein was from Württemberg. Even though the distance between the two vineyards is only about 4km, the boundary between Franken and Württemberg goes just between these two vineyards! So legally, only the oaked one was from Franken despite my misleading notes.

David, if you have more info on Becker-Landgraf do tell! Am I right to be as excited about them as I am? I have never had the opportunity to sit down over a dinner to try them and have only tasted such 5cl samples, but from them, I would want to try more.

One more thing I should mention, though it might be pretty obvious. Apart from the Nikolaihof and Rudi Pichler, these aren't terribly expensive wines, ranging from 5-10€ ex-cellar, and for that amount I think they proved enormous pleasure.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Weingut Schellmannn Gumpoldskirchner Cuvée 2008 Rotgipfler + Zierfandler; Thermenregion label

Apparently a dry blend of the two grapes is exceedingly rare. But in this wine, it worked. It smelled of rosewater and steel, mineral and floral. Dry, crisp, mouthwatering despite a floral scent promising sweetness. Quite long. Very nice.

FWIW, I knew the Schellmann estate quite well, even visited it once, while the old man of the estate, Gottfried Schellmann was alive. Sadly this very charming man passed away in 2005. Now his son, Ossi plus another three persons is carrying the heritage on, one of the others being the well known vintner Fred Loimer from the Kamptal, where also Shellmann's wines are made now.
I have not tasted this cuvée, but as far as I know it also contains Chardonnay. the blend of Rotgipfler+Zierfandler, which is not too rare, is traditionally called Spätrot-Rotgipfler.

I've also tasted the Roter Veltliner by Birgit Eichinger, bought from Andy Chapman in Oxfordshire. Nice, but a bit perfumed, IIRC.

Plus several wines by Rudi Pichler, of course, some very good wines, if not on the level some of FX Pichler's ones.

Cheers,
Anders