The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dave Matthews, not Winston Churchill

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Dave Matthews, not Winston Churchill

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:05 pm

2004 Blenheim 'King Family Vineyards' Merlot (Virginia)
Blenheim is a winery in central Virginia (a little bit south of Charlottesville) that was founded by Dave Matthews' of the eponymous band. (Some may be more familiar with Blenheim as the birthplace of Winston Churchill, but that's Oxfordshire.) I visited Blenheim (the winder, not the castle) a couple of years ago, and liked this Merlot (gasp!) enough to buy a bottle, intending to one day serve it blind to people who think they are my friends. :wink:

Well time passed & I figured I had really better get to this bottle, so yesterday I did. Good stuff. It has some good red and black fruit, a touch of herbs, but none of the agressive green notes that sometimes dominate Virginia reds, balanced acids/tannins & a pleasant finish. There's just a touch of a candied feel to the fruit, but it's only just barely, and so overall this is very drinkable (even on a very hot/humid day), especially at 13.2% alcohol. It's good QPR too, as the cost was (and is - they still have it) only $16. It's in no danger of immediate demise either.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Dave Matthews, not Winston Churchill

by James Roscoe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Where is the Duke of Marlborough? Where are the French Marshalls? Isn't this a village in Austria?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Where is the Duke of Marlborough?

I don't know, but I am willing to bet that you can find a guy named Duke smoking a Marlboro at any Dave Matthews Band concert.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm

But what good came of it at last?"
Quoth little Peterkin.
"Why that I cannot tell," said he,
"But 'twas a famous victory."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:37 pm

If you expect me to start playing with skulls you are sadly mistaken. :wink:
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:29 pm

As you are probably well aware, Merlot is getting quite a second look in Virginia. Luca has been doing good stuff with it at Barboursville for years. Jim Law is planting more of it as it is doing so well for him. I talked with Jim about the supposed problem with rot on Merlot and he is not seeing it as any worse than the other reds.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Based on this wine I would think there are some good spots for Merlot. I'm not aware if 2004 was some extra special year, but this was very good.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:48 am

Not exactly the same part of the state but I cut from the Linden Vineyards website http://www.lindenvineyards.com/linden/index.html this description of the 2004 season

2004 can best be categorized as a roller coaster vintage. The growing season was quite good, with a very early flowering due to a hot May, below normal summer temperatures, and a slightly higher than normal rainfall. Mid August through early September was a beautiful window of perfect ripening weather. Low crop levels combined with an early flowering resulted in a very early start of the harvest under ideal conditions. Mid-September was problematic with a series of rains from hurricanes that brought some dilution and berry splitting. Late September through mid October gave us beautiful sunny, dry weather. The reds were able to take advantage of this. There was much fruit desiccation because of splitting and botrytis from the hurricanes, but this seemed only to concentrate, in a good way, as there was no sour rot or off flavors. The vintage reminds us of 1999, which produced wines with silky tannins, generous fruit and medium body. Harvest for Cabernet Franc was from October 7 to October 13, 2004.