The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Viognier, Mt Veeder App. cab, South Africa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Viognier, Mt Veeder App. cab, South Africa

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 am

2007 Freemark Abbey Viognier. Nice, rich honeyed wine with a kiss of oak richness and some sweetness. Alcohol in balance. Nice quaffer.

2001 Warwick Reserve Red South Africa. OK. I will admit it. I'm just not sure I like South African reds. :? This had a touch of that unique plastic bandaid flavor, and the green-ness (verging on "jalapeno juice"). Quite sharp. did not go well with the garlic-rubbed tri tip and musrhoom polenta, so we moved onto the next wine.

2004 Elizabeth Spenser "Mount Veeder" Cabernet Sauvignon. We all love this wine! Despite the hot year, this is not really jammy at all...instead there is bright acidity and a strong red fruit element here. Nice licorice and the beginnings of some fine saddle leather as well. 92 points+

Sunday nights is my splurge night. Back to the diet!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach