The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: halbtrocken Nahe Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: halbtrocken Nahe Riesling

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:07 am

Last night Betsy made one of Dave's (well, and mine too) favorites, a lemony chicken schnitzel over herb salad. I usually go with crisp low oak White Burg or GV with this, after Saturday's burg overload I went down for a GV, but came up with a Riesling. The wine was the 2007 Schafer-Frohlich Medium Dry Riesling (Nahe) - it actually says Medium Dry on label, not halbtrocken. More herby than minerally, just a hint of sugar, lemony fruit with a bright (pleasant) green herb note, good length. It doesn't really excite me, but a good match and a pleasant dinner wine. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: halbtrocken Nahe Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 am

I had one bottle of this wine about a year ago & decided not to pursue it further in 2007. The 2004 has been delicious since release. That and the Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken (2004 & 2006) are the closest thing I have to house wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up