The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Castelgiocondo Brunello

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2000 Castelgiocondo Brunello

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:53 am

2000 Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino DOCG 13.5%
Last night we tasted our sole 2000, and tonight we're tasting the last of a case of 1999s, thankfully our last two wines from this winery, belonging to those depressingly portrayed aristocrats in Mondovino. OK, I don't want my wine to be made by people who are not nice (silly me). But the aromas are quite lovely, dark plum, wet earth and light barnyard. Good acidity, medium tannins, alcohol well-integrated. Body is medium weight, slightly dilute. After food, additional notes of currants and raisins and, interestingly, a strong note of molasses. Went down well and easy, like a noble quaffer, which it isn't.
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: WTN: 2000 Castegiocondo Brunello

by Mark Kogos » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:59 am

I had one of my 1998 Castegiocondo recently out of a case of six. It was by far and a way the best of the bottles I have opened so far. It is part of a mini vertical I have of 97, 98 and 99, the 98 being the weakest vintage of the three of them. Nevertheless it has taken all this time just to start to taking on some depth of flavour. Earlier bottles have been rather disappointing so I am please to see the wine opening up. As for the 97 & 99, I have decided to leave them for another couple of years. You also want to think about holding back some of the 99.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2000 Castegiocondo Brunello

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 am

Mark Kogos wrote:I had one of my 1998 Castegiocondo recently out of a case of six. It was by far and a way the best of the bottles I have opened so far. It is part of a mini vertical I have of 97, 98 and 99, the 98 being the weakest vintage of the three of them. Nevertheless it has taken all this time just to start to taking on some depth of flavour. Earlier bottles have been rather disappointing so I am please to see the wine opening up. As for the 97 & 99, I have decided to leave them for another couple of years. You also want to think about holding back some of the 99.

Alas, it went to the scaffold last night! I hope yours improve with age.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: WTN: 2000 Castelgiocondo Brunello

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

To my palate the Brunellos have always been,when properly aged,good food wines. They seem to "marry" well with food. IMHO they generally aren't "hought provoking meal-stopping"wines but rather wines that seem to fit into their proper place within the context of the meal.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain