The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2005

by Saina » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2005 South Australia; 14,5% abv; 22,50€

This Old Persian project has been interesting not only linguistically but vinously, also. It has "forced" me to try the Aussie range at our monopoly. Perhaps now is not a good time to give an overview of my findings since we still have 3-4 sessions of both Dārayavahuš and Aussie Purple Monsters ahead. But though there have been wines that provided some interest to me, sadly they for the most part have not been wines that I would buy nor wines that I particularly enjoy. They have been heavy, with more dried fruit/prune character than anything fresh or refreshing, sweet. Some have had adequate structure, but only the Cape Mentelle Shiraz has been refreshing - and even that is a bit frightening because of its supremely high alcohol (though it was amazingly well hidden). Sadly whoever is in charge of Australia at Alko seems to think Finns only want massive Shiraz full of purplosity. What I have so far tried, I am sure, shows much less variety than there must be in Australia.

Well, the Kalimna is one more of those wines that come partly to where I hope wines would be, yet in other respects fails to provide pleasure to me. The good things are its lack of overt oak aromas (I believe it is aged in old hogsheads?) and its prominent if softish tannins; and in its scent I like the meaty, peppery, savoury yet sweet dark fruit. Sadly what distracts from this goodness is the prune/dried fruit character combined to noticeable alcohol (though 14,5% it smells and tastes much more than the Cape Mentelle with 15%).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2005

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Well at least you almost got some pleasure from it. It's not a wine I would ever expect you to like though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: WTN: Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2005

by Mark Kogos » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Otto

I am interested to know which wines they have brought in. You do seem to be getting all the big stuff. Personally I would never touch the Bin 28 2005 at this stage of its life, thou many do. I am only just beginning to crack open the '98s which has developed into a lovely integrated wine. Many of these wines need years to settle in. Sadly everyone thinks all Aussie wines should be ready to drink now. I am not sure if you get the magazine up there but the latest Australian Gourmet Wine Traveller mag has a very article on a series of tastings recently done in Aus to educate overseas journalists on the range and diversity of Australian wine outside the blockbusters made for the US market. It is will worth trying to track down a copy. If you can't locate one, I am happy to post one off to you.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.