The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Beausejour Becot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1996 Beausejour Becot

by Jenise » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Some people have birthdays. I have birthfortnights. To get the current fortnight underway I chose this wine from my cellar to go with a grilled steak. This was my first experience with this St. Emilion, and I was not happy with what I found: slightly brownish in color, fairly wan midpalate with mature, stewed fruit character on the finish. It seemed to be both closed and in sharp decline. I have three more bottles, all were purchased second-hand and have been in my cellar just a few years.

Has anyone had better bottles of this recently?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1996 Beausejour Becot

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Jenise wrote:I have birthfortnights

That must have been some labor... :wink:

Anyway, happy birthfortnight.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Indeed, happy birthfortnight!

96 is great in Medoc, but has always been a bit iffy on Right Bank. I had the Becot probably 10 years ago, thought it a bit low on fruit and high in green tannins, had a very drying finish. The only 96 Libournais I still have is Troplong Mondot, highly rated but I have not gotten much pleasure out of last couple bottles, hopefully fruit will outlast tannins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That must have been some labor... :wink:

Oh, that made me laugh! But no, it's not about that, it's just my annual revenge on the religion of my childhood that robbed me of birthday celebrations. :)

Dale--green tannins, YES. This wine had that too. I actually purchased these after watching Gary Vaynerchuk swoon about this particular vintage of BB, so I expected more. Maybe I waited too long.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov