The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Ridge "Pagani Ranch"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

WTN: 1997 Ridge "Pagani Ranch"

by Dave R » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:11 pm

1997 Ridge “Pagani Ranch” Zinfandel 88% Zinfandel, 7% Mataro, 3% Petite Sirah, 2% Alicante Bouschet.

A friend of mine and I bought a case of this on release to split. We opened up a bottle at the time and found it to be ever so slightly over ripe and completely simple.

I put the remainder of my bottles in my cellar and purposely forgot about them because I thought they were sub par.

Last week I had some friends over for dinner and while picking through the cellar for an appetizer wine match, I came across the bottles of ’97 Ridge Pagani.

Now that it has grown up, it is beautiful wine and definitely not over ripe or simple. Crimson color and long legs in the glass. Cherry, underbrush, ripe peaches, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, and perfume combined with some noticeable acid that made the wine perfect with an appetizer of beef tenderloin medallions with a rich demi glace.

I have never had a bottle of Ridge, with some age, that has ever disappointed me. Most certainly one of my favorite producers year after year after year.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1997 Ridge "Pagani Ranch"

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Sounds delicious. I still have one bottle of the 1995 Pagani Ranch in the cellar. I'm not sure when I will open it, but I am sure it will give a lot of pelasure.
Decisions are made by those who show up