The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Roses, Burgs, Ligurian wine and more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Roses, Burgs, Ligurian wine and more

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Steamy here, but it's better by the river with a breeze. Wed night I met some friends for a bluegrass concert in the park (the band were former locals who we all knew). I had made cole slaw and a Caprese salad, plus carried cheese and cured meats. Also tried Donna's grilled veggies, and we sampled each other's wines:

2007 Bruna  "Le Russeghine" Pigato (Riviera Ligure di Ponente)
This was one of mine, and I'm not sure it wasn't lightly corked. I thought I got some cardboard, but it was fleeting. Fairly big, some mineral, not a lot of fruit. Good acidity, modest finish. It was glugged by all, I had a second small pour and again for one sec thought I got corkiness. If this is the correct wine I don't like near as much as the 06. Might get one more to see if it was wine or TCA (or of course it could just be an off night for me). If this is the wine, B-/C+

2008 Baudry Chinon Rose
Pale and pretty (really pale, almost looks like a white). Strawberries and raspberry fruit, minerally, I really like but a bit austere for some. B+/B

2006 Cousino-Macul "Dona Isadora" Riesling 
I had thought this (or a previous vintage) was decent for the low price tag. This bottle seemed a little flabby and a little tired, peachy fruit overpowered by some diesel fumes (I usually like a little petrol, but this was a bit much). To be fair, it wasn't cold enough, and knowing person who brought it might have been open a few days. But for what I tasted, C+

2008 Lou Devet "It's Summer" Cotes du Rhone rose
And you think the Copain seasonal offerings are explicit? The excellent store where I bought this lists it as "C'est l'Eté" but it's in English on label. Actually, wine isn't bad. Slightly unripe strawberrry, a little herb, a little mineral. One could do much worse for under $10. B

So I read a post re fried chicken and white Burgundy. That intriqued me (personal choices were rose, sparkling, and Gv in that order). So tonight a couple pieces chicken, an impromptu rice noodle cabbage stirfry, and the 2006 Bernard Morey "Les Macherelles" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er. Woodier, less deep, and less interesting that the Embrazees from same producer. Decent acidity, good white fruit, some vanillin oak, good but not intriguing like its brother. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Roses, Burgs, Ligurian wine and more

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:57 am

2008 Baudry Chinon Rose.... did not see this new vintage on the shelf here, pity. I really enjoyed the `07 Dale which seemed to have more body and depth.
Are you a big Baudry fan?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Roses, Burgs, Ligurian wine and more

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:55 am

I didn't actually think the Baudry was lacking in body, just said it was very lightly colored.
I like Baudry, and tend to buy the regular domaine bottling for current drinking and the Grezeaux (sp?) for aging a bit./