The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Josko Rencel - Teran 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

WTN: Josko Rencel - Teran 2004

by Agostino Berti » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm

A few years ago I went to visit the legendary Slovenian winemaker Josko Rencel (pronounced Yosko Renchel). I was already in Goriska Brda, the Slovenian part of the Italian Collio, visiting some fascinating young winemakers and both of them told me a visit to old Josko was a must. A true experimenter, they said.
So off I went, deeper into Slovenia, into the Carso (Kras), an area that had seen much bloodshed between Italians and Slovenes during WWI.

I finally found the small town of Dutovlje - along the way I bought some honey, fresh fruits and a delectable peach grappa from local farmers. I drive into a courtyard and park. Pretty soon a stocky man in his sixties, with a giant, taut, round belly, shirtless makes his way down some stairs. He promptly pulls out his wild boar salami (wink), slices it, and proceeds to open about five different bottles of wine. It feels kind of awkward nonetheless. The conversation is a bit halted, him not speaking much Italian. But I'm certainly fascinated by his wild boar salami (wink) and the different offerings of wine. His somewhat laconic, young son joins us. He speaks fairly good English. He tells me the Slovenes feel they have something to learn from the Italians, and even more from the Austrians. I don't quite know whether to take this as a compliment. The history of the area comes up and Josko proudly mentions how more Italians died here than Slovenes. It is a fact, so I am not bothered. Under the misguided leadership of General Cadorna, hundreds of thousands died in trench warfare - Italy's campaign in WWI was a disaster and probably helped the rise of Mussolini. It was interesting for me, having grown up in the US, to be in a place where tens of thousands of my countrymen had died violently, not to mention Slovenes, less than a century before.

Josko makes a wide range of wines, reds and whites. Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Malvasia, Teran(Refosco in Italy) - some he makes in a dried grape style. I have a couple of bottles of his that are Amarone type dried grape blends of Teran, Cabernet and Merlot. The most impressive wine I tasted was a dried grape wine made from Malvasia vinified completely dry. It was impressive. It was vibrant and you could tell it would age for along time and become a jewel at some point. I was a bit bothered when he mentioned Veneto Amarone legend Giuseppe Quintarelli and how much dough he got for his wines. Quintarelli is one of those oenological exceptions that is able to get 2 to 300 dollars for one of his bottles. Rencel's prices didn't turn out to be so bad.

Last night I drank his Teran 2004 - 12% alcohol. Red wine made from Refosco grapes, here called Refosk.
It was medium to full bodied, which just goes to show you don't need 15% alcohol to have body. It was tasty and balanced, with good acidity. One problem was the nose. It smelled musty, like wet cement or decomposing leaves, with an undercurrent of rasberry and mint. A total turn-off. It's certainly alive, tasting it is like biting into a wet branch!
I wouldn't buy this wine again, but I'd buy his passito Malvasia again in a second. I would still drink this over a Mondavi...

I found a beautifully written article about Trieste which mentions Rencel, here it is:
http://www.americanwaymag.com/trieste-v ... el-duchi-d

Best regards,
Agostino
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Josko Rencel - Teran 2004

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Nice story but why the winks about the wild boar salami?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Yes, very interesting. Any idea how he compares to Radikon, Gravner, Movia & Co. in terms of vineyard practices?

I had a 12% Bourgueil two nights ago with plenty of body, so alcohol definitely not a prerequisite.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Rahsaan, that's an inside joke. Sorry about that.
Oswaldo, I don't know his vineyard practices. All the people you mention I think are quite different except for maybe Radikon and Gravner who I believe are both fermenting their wine in amphorae. Given the price of their wines, I think its a bullshit practice. Like I've posted before, you're either passionate about making money or making wine.
I've gone to visit Movia and met Ales Kristancic and he's definitely an ambitious wack-o. I liked him. He's Slovenia's wine superstar - but I appreciate the fact that he's a real experimenter. When I went to see him he showed my friend and I a steel and wood fermenter that he had designed. Any winemaker will tell you its not possible to make such a thing, but he seems to have done it. Unfortunately, I opened his most important red called Veliko Rdece from the '95 vintage recently (it had been well stored in my cellar for years) and it had not withstood the test of time. As with all Collio/Goriska Brda wines, I'm not sure they are always worth their pricetag.
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Actually, another interesting thing I noticed...Movia's reds are usually marked 12.5% alc. and the area is better known for its whites (Collio being considered Italy's premier white wine area) but in the latest vintages, thanks to global warming or what-have-you, the reds of some of my favorite small producers have been reaching 15% alc. Go figure....
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:25 am

The Wine Doctor is gearing up for some Slovenia!!!

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/weekend/ja ... la07.shtml
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:58 am

Agostino Berti wrote:Rahsaan, that's an inside joke. Sorry about that.
Oswaldo, I don't know his vineyard practices. All the people you mention I think are quite different except for maybe Radikon and Gravner who I believe are both fermenting their wine in amphorae. Given the price of their wines, I think its a bullshit practice. Like I've posted before, you're either passionate about making money or making wine.
I've gone to visit Movia and met Ales Kristancic and he's definitely an ambitious wack-o. I liked him. He's Slovenia's wine superstar - but I appreciate the fact that he's a real experimenter. When I went to see him he showed my friend and I a steel and wood fermenter that he had designed. Any winemaker will tell you its not possible to make such a thing, but he seems to have done it. Unfortunately, I opened his most important red called Veliko Rdece from the '95 vintage recently (it had been well stored in my cellar for years) and it had not withstood the test of time. As with all Collio/Goriska Brda wines, I'm not sure they are always worth their pricetag.

Planning on opening a `06 Movia Tocai tomorrow!

edit, well its tomorrow. Complete bust, that is 3 bottles from Movia in a row. Acetylaldehyde/sherry quality.`nuff said eh