The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNL 2007 Breton Bourgueil Nuits d'Ivresse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNL 2007 Breton Bourgueil Nuits d'Ivresse

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:15 am

2007 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Nuits d'Ivresse 12.0%
A positive note from Rahsaan made me want to try this, even though Dale tends to avoid the risk (see last sentence). Earthy aromas of sour cherry, tar and a hint of dishrag, later complemented by asian spices. Marcia got plums and eucalyptus. Vibrant acidity, pleasantly astringent tannins. Medium weight, good extraction, impressive amount of body for 12 percent. After food, acidity recedes somewhat, giving way to a slightly sweet finish, the only thing that kept me from bliss (Marcia had no problem with it). Still, very satisfying, and perhaps our favorite Breton so far. Living dangerously has its rewards: labels says "This wine is made without sulfur or filtration from grapes grown organically and should be stored below 14C."
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTNL 2007 Breton Bourgueil Nuits d'Ivresse

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 am

Glad it went well and that there were some rewards to a lifestyle on the edge!

And I don't know what else they do when making this wine, but somehow it strikes me as more stable than a lot of the other no/low SO2 Loire wines. Maybe because it is cleaner and not infected with brett like so many of them.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 am

I like the NdI, but I like to cellar Loire Cab Franc with tannins. My problem is that I have a passive cellar, and at end of summer thermometer at top of cellar (it's a couple degrees cooler at floor level) is about 68°F/20°C. A couple of years and a bacterial experiment awaits. If you like them young, no issue.
Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm surprised that you found it a bit sweet and hope that is just an impression rather than actual residual sugar. If it it unsulfured and unfiltered it would be really easy for an unwanted fermentation to start, so I'm sure thay would try to avoid that by fermenting out any sugar.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 am

Joe Moryl wrote:I'm surprised that you found it a bit sweet and hope that is just an impression rather than actual residual sugar. If it it unsulfured and unfiltered it would be really easy for an unwanted fermentation to start, so I'm sure thay would try to avoid that by fermenting out any sugar.

Strictly speaking, even the dryest wines still retain a bit of residual sugar, but this wasn't the taste of residual sugar, just a touch of sweetness in the finish, most likely alcoholic. It showed none of the slight frizziness that marks secondary fermentation...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.