The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Boring Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Boring Wines

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Of course even someone's favorite wine can get boring if it's all they consume night after night. I actually got bored with Riesling once. :shock:

Yeah, but those fake black crockery bottles make great candle holders, don't they? :mrgreen:

Bill (who is old enough to have drunk Black Tower back when the bottles were still some sort of earthenware material)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:There is variety in Aussie reds, though from the sound of it, US importers and certain wine critics have been focused on a stylistic subset

Absolutely correct. Like others I buy less Oz wine than I used to, but that's entirely because 100% of the Oz wines available in my area are McClaren Vale and Barossa wines, and which areas I'm not a fan of. The story would be different were there more Hunter Valley, Victoria (especially small areas like the Grampians and Macedon Range), and Western Australia wines on the import lists.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 am

Jenise wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:There is variety in Aussie reds, though from the sound of it, US importers and certain wine critics have been focused on a stylistic subset

Absolutely correct. Like others I buy less Oz wine than I used to, but that's entirely because 100% of the Oz wines available in my area are McClaren Vale and Barossa wines, and which areas I'm not a fan of. The story would be different were there more Hunter Valley, Victoria (especially small areas like the Grampians and Macedon Range), and Western Australia wines on the import lists.

Hi - I'm glad you are back. I'll tell you one wine that wasn't boring, the 1999 La Fleur de Bouard (sp?) you recommended. It was really nice. What a nose! I only have a 2001, now that both the '98 and '99 I bought are gone. Going back to Century Liquor in Rochester next week and plan to pick up a few more '99s.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I might turn the table a little bit & say that it's not that I find certain wines boring (although I do find Sauvignon Blanc hideous), but rather that the search for the good examples which I know are out there requires more effort/money than I am willing to give.

I am not a big follower of reviews (other than David Schildknecht's, and his are generally so late in the flow that I can only use them for hindsight),

"Hideous," so you're not perfect. Oh by the way I have broken bread and slurped numerous wines with David Schildknecht and he's very fond of good Sancerres. :wink:
I hate to diminish your hero in any way but he's very fond of high acid wines in general.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 am

Covert wrote:I'll tell you one wine that wasn't boring, the 1999 La Fleur de Bouard (sp?) you recommended. It was really nice. What a nose!

Neecie scores, I'm so glad you loved it. Now you just have to find the 99 Barde Haut, which is quite similar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Jenise wrote:
Covert wrote:I'll tell you one wine that wasn't boring, the 1999 La Fleur de Bouard (sp?) you recommended. It was really nice. What a nose!

Neecie scores, I'm so glad you loved it. Now you just have to find the 99 Barde Haut, which is quite similar.

There are not many around. I might have to have it sent from the West Coast or pay a ton in New York. I feel the opportunity slipping away, but I will get on it next week.
Previous