The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A flight before my flight--based on summer white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: A flight before my flight--based on summer white

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:11 pm

This was a flight of three 1.5- 2-oz. pours for $9.00 consumed with small portion of penne with white Cheddar, smoked Gouda, truffle oil and toasted bread crumbs. Yum!
All three of the whites were categorized as bright (from the choices of light, bright, rich or brooding.)

2007 Wolfgang Gruner Veltliner Concerto "Gru-Vee" $29/bottle Described on provided notes as "Nectarine and Mineral." This turned out to be my favorite of the flight--I am starting to like GV more than in the past. Flavor of slightly underripe stone fruits--white peach or nectarine. Furnished notes say "with adequate acidity and mineral tones..racy and fun." I agree with that. It pairs well with the penne and cheese and truffle oil dish. Crisp and refreshing for summer.

The Riesling was next in order presented but since it was a Spatlese, I saved it for last.

2006 Jean-Luc Colombo "Les Abeilles" Rhone white (grapes are Clairette, Grenache [Blanc?], Viognier and Rousanne (I forgot to note the price on this one.)
I believe I have met Monsieur Colombo at a wine dinner in Raleigh.
Described as "Melon and Vanilla"
I did find a hint of vanilla and some rocks, yet less minerally than the Gruner Veltliner. Light to medium body. A fairly long finish. Also pairs well with the penne but seemed a bit bland. Impression of "frothiness." If there is any melon flavor there it must be a honeydew or a subtle melon.

2007 St. Gabriel Riesling Spatlese (new producer to me) $21/bottle Titled: "Pear and Dandelion"
Floral and apricot or nectarine nose. Very pale color. Rich and lush on the palate. Okay with the penne but the G.V. seemed the best pairing. Light to medium body. Slightly simple but would make a decent aperitif or patio/deck/porch sipper.

I enjoyed the food and the wine flights. The shop has been open about one year.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A flight before my flight--based on summer white

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Sounds like a nice way to prepare for a flight. The last time I hit an airport wine bar it was in Dallas - Texas wines. :shock:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: A flight before my flight--based on summer white

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Here's a link to the Vino Volo website: http://vinovolo.com/index.php?main_page=about_us

(I have no financial interest in the firm but think they are providing a service to air travelers.)

"At Vino Volo, our goal is to bring the world of wine tasting and retail wine sales to where it is most convenient for air travelers."

Says they were planning to open four or five new stores in airports this year--I don't know if the economy has changed those plans.