The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lagrein, Grüner Veltliner, Grenache

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Lagrein, Grüner Veltliner, Grenache

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I spent a quick weekend visiting my mother and digging out some of the wines I had left in her basement over the years. One of those wines was the 2001 Mayr-Nusser Südtiroler Lagrein Riserva which we opened with dinner. It was nothing too complex but perfectly resolved mid-weight supple wine with brambly berry flavors and a lovely porky Northern Rhone srah-esque aromatic edge. Easy to drink and very very comforting for me. Nothing mind-bending but there was something about this wine on release that tapped into my sensual comfort zone and it does the same now.

The next day we had a small party with some of my mother’s friends and I was charged with finding some wines for outdoors with the grill. I started with a liter of 2008 Schwarzböck Grüner Veltliner which was a delightfully refreshing stream of green minerally firm juciness. This was $13.50 and not the cheapest of the Big Liter Buys (or am I on old prices) but the staff claimed it was better in 2008 than the Hofer they usually stock, and I would definitely purchase again for parties.

I was told by the same retail staff that the 2008 Höpler Grüner Veltliner would be a slight step up from the Schwarzböck but I didn’t think so. It tended towards neutral and acceptable but that was about it. (And it was screwcapped so definitely not corked!)

For red wine, I figured I could satisfy the fruit lovers with 2007 Cuvée Sélectionée par Kermit Lynch Côtes du Rhône and I suppose I did, but I didn’t really satisfy myself! I’m not the hugest grenache fan but I can appreciate many Southern Rhône wines. However, this just seemed too jammy and knotted and blocky and not at all harmonious. Didn’t really smooth out on the second day either. I’m not sure even hardcore Côtes du Rhône fans would like it and there are probably a lot of other better examples for $14. But I could be wrong.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Lagrein, Grüner Veltliner, Grenache

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Rahsaan wrote:For red wine, I figured I could satisfy the fruit lovers with 2007 Cuvée Sélectionée par Kermit Lynch Côtes du Rhône and I suppose I did, but I didn’t really satisfy myself! I’m not the hugest grenache fan but I can appreciate many Southern Rhône wines. However, this just seemed too jammy and knotted and blocky and not at all harmonious. Didn’t really smooth out on the second day either. I’m not sure even hardcore Côtes du Rhône fans would like it and there are probably a lot of other better examples for $14. But I could be wrong.

Wow, had no idea such a thing existed! There's no vigneron named on the bottle? Or vignerons? This reminds me of a polemic in art, in which artists complain that curators are becoming ever more powerful, sometimes trying to make art themselves when curating exhibitions. Here is the concept of the importer as curator/vigneron...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:29 pm

I have never had a Höpler wine that I thought was worth its price tag.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Wow, had no idea such a thing existed! There's no vigneron named on the bottle? Or vignerons?..Here is the concept of the importer as curator/vigneron...

Indeed. The sources can change from year to year. You can read more about it on Kermit's blog (although not actually written by Kermit himself if I understand correctly). If you scroll down they have their own note on the 2007 CdR which is similar to mine although they (perhaps predictably) have a different spin on it. Different strokes for different folks.

http://blog.kermitlynch.com/2009/07/10/ ... mit-lynch/
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have never had a Höpler wine that I thought was worth its price tag.

Good to know!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Lagrein = sensual comfort zone

Yup, know what you mean, Rahsaan. A blend I had recently (from Oregon!) was 37% Lagrein (with 50% Syrah, 13% Sangiovese), and the Lagrein put it into that sensual comfort zone: old shoe, well-worn chair that knows the lumps of your body, viscerally satisfying kind of comfort zone that triggers an automatic response.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Indeed. The sources can change from year to year....

Not your 2007, but I just opened a bottle of the '06 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Spicy dark berries, round but delineated. A bit "jammy," perhaps, but I would never call it "knotted" or "blocky." You and I have different palates, no doubt, but I've come to trust and appreciate yours over years of posts. It doesn't surprise me that there could be vintage variation, of course, but I'd think a large part of the point to having one's own cuvee produced and imported would be consistency in character. Seems odd, but I've had little experience with KL cuvees.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Hoke wrote:Yup, know what you mean, Rahsaan. A blend I had recently (from Oregon!) was 37% Lagrein (with 50% Syrah, 13% Sangiovese), and the Lagrein put it into that sensual comfort zone: old shoe, well-worn chair that knows the lumps of your body, viscerally satisfying kind of comfort zone that triggers an automatic response.

Good description of lagrein's joy. I can see how it would do interesting things with syrah although am not sure about sangiovese. I guess it adds a different kind of structure and high note.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Not your 2007, but I just opened a bottle of the '06 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Spicy dark berries, round but delineated. A bit "jammy," perhaps, but I would never call it "knotted" or "blocky." You and I have different palates, no doubt, but I've come to trust and appreciate yours over years of posts. It doesn't surprise me that there could be vintage variation, of course, but I'd think a large part of the point to having one's own cuvee produced and imported would be consistency in character..

I certainly wouldn't say that my take was the definitive word, but it may indeed be a little bit of palate difference as well as vintage variation.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Hoke wrote:Yup, know what you mean, Rahsaan. A blend I had recently (from Oregon!) was 37% Lagrein (with 50% Syrah, 13% Sangiovese), and the Lagrein put it into that sensual comfort zone: old shoe, well-worn chair that knows the lumps of your body, viscerally satisfying kind of comfort zone that triggers an automatic response.

Good description of lagrein's joy. I can see how it would do interesting things with syrah although am not sure about sangiovese. I guess it adds a different kind of structure and high note.

The syrah was there basically as a foundation, I think, Rahsaan, with lots of soft blueberry. The Sangiovese gave a tart-cherry component, and added some lean acidity structure. All in all, it was a pretty decent blend---but the Lagrein definitely dominated. Sort of like Petite Sirah does, if that makes sense. The herbal/brambly/meaty/peppery component of the Lagrein is pervasive.

Add to that we were drinking it with some tapas that showed a really wide diversity of spices and flavors, and it handled everything with ease.