The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Phelps, Stags, Hess, Turley, Beringer, Paloma

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Phelps, Stags, Hess, Turley, Beringer, Paloma

by Bill Spohn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Brown bag tasting notes, Californian theme.

2004 Patz & Hall Chardonnay Dutton Ranch (Russian River) – medium light colour, vanilla nose with a whiff of salt air, soft wine with clean fruit, soft finish. Pleasant.

1984 Phelps Insignia – very minty nose, medium colour, fresh wine with no tannins evident but excellent acidity. I guessed the maker but not the year – thought it was a bit younger. A good, rather than outstanding showing.

1983 Stag’s Leap Winery Cabernet – dark, with a cherry vanilla nose and excellent acidity, the fruit no doubt having dropped out a bit, but nonetheless a surprisingly decent showing from this often lean vintage.

1986 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace – sadly, a spoiled corked wine with a vague and fruitless middle.

1990 Conn Valley Cabernet Reserve – good dark colour and a nose of sweet vanilla pudding, then good fruit, soft tannins and at least decent fruit.

1992 Hess Collection Cabernet – another dark wine with stronger tannins than the Conn, and a hint of mint in the nose. Decent fruit, but maybe a tad flat in the middle, only average length.

1997 Turley Hayne Zinfandel – wow! Big dark wine with a minty cherry and blackberry nose, tons of sweet fruit on palate, and almost a little acidic spritz that went away after a bit. Hot and long – this one is 17.1% alcohol.

1996 Duckhorn Merlot Napa – sweet spicy nose, mellow on palate a mature wine with medium length.

1996 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet – sweet currant nose quite mellow and resolved on palate with soft tannin and well melded flavours, and a balanced lengthy finish. Very good.

2001 Paloma Merlot – dark sweet hot nose with cocoa, big and jammy in the mouth with big tannins and blackberry aromas. Needs more time but very good now.

2006 St. Chapelle Riesling Icewine – a light colour, sweet nose, pecha flavours with bright acidity. Pleasant.

2000 Far Niente Dolce – always one of the best made California dessert wines, this Sauternes bend had a sweet green apple nose and was balanced and very long. Excellent.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Phelps, Stags, Hess, Turley, Beringer, Paloma

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Interesting mix of wines.

I have not had the '84 Insignia in quite some time (last perhaps in 2004), but I would not be surprised if it showed younger for a long time. That said I have never been convinced that Insignia gains from time in bottle.

There was a time that Duckhorn was one of the top names in Napa. Oh how things change.
Decisions are made by those who show up