The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lovely Austrian; good and horrible Italian

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Lovely Austrian; good and horrible Italian

by Saina » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:30 pm

• 2002 Tement Gelber Muskateller Steirische Klassik - Austria, Styria, Südsteiermark (8/16/2009)
    Served blind: 11,5% abv; Gelber Muskateller = Muscat Blanc à Petits Grains. But this wasn't like any other Muscat I have had (though I guess, this might not have been intended to age this long!). The scent is delightful with lots of citrus and white flowers, it seemed a touch oxidative (rather than oxidised) and reminded me of the white Riojas of Lopez de Heredia. It was oily in texture but retained wonderful citrussy fruit. Far more refreshing and crisp than any other dry Muscat I have had. Lovely stuff! My guess: it seemed rather like Chenin Blanc in some respects yet had that oxidative touch that made me think of Joly (but one where emphasis was on making wine not practicing lunatic philosophy); second guess was the LdH white; after that I gave up.
  • 2008 Pieropan Soave Classico - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico (8/15/2009)
    12%; 13,36€. Light gold. The scent is quite charming, typical for the Classico with minerals, white flowers, citrussy - it is even a touch nutty though unoaked. Quite full bodied, but with some crispness to it so the whole is refreshing and moreish. Nice wine!
  • 2001 Cascina Garitina Monferrato Amis - Italy, Piedmont, Monferrato (8/14/2009)
    14% abv; Monferrato IGT; a blend of Merlot, Cab Sauv and Barbera. It is dark, black despite some years on it. It smells more of oak and spoof than wine. Full body, harshly extracted with harsh tannins, harsh alcohol and I was not able to find real redeeming features. It is expensive, too, at 24,10€.
Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Saina on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Lovely Austrian; good and horrible Italian

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Interesting that the Muskateller showed older/oxidative notes. I would not have held such a wine that long, preferring the primary fruit & floral notes of young Muscat over any chance of development. Of course your mileage may vary. :D

As for the Monferrato - I could have guess the result based on the cepage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting that the Muskateller showed older/oxidative notes. I would not have held such a wine that long, preferring the primary fruit & floral notes of young Muscat over any chance of development. Of course your mileage may vary. :D

As for the Monferrato - I could have guess the result based on the cepage.

I would have opened it earlier, too, had it been in my possession. But I was glad someone else did this experiment with ageing as it the result was spectacularly enjoyable for one of my tastes.

As for the Monferrato - neither the label nor Alko had any info on the cépage, so I just googled it later.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:29 am

Sorry for being slightly late.

Note that "Steirische Klassik" (Styrian Classics) are wines in the basic segment not intended to be aged. I know they do age well — I had my share of klassik sauvignons ageing beautifully —, but over here just about anybody would consider such a wine way over the hill.

Glad you liked it, anyhow!
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam