The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Excellent Sagrantino, Marmandais, Saumur W with others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Excellent Sagrantino, Marmandais, Saumur W with others

by Tim York » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 am

Here are some succinct notes of vinous ups and downs over the last 10 days or so.

Sagrantino di Montefalco Arquata 2001 – Adanti was outstanding. Sagrantino from Caprai and Colpetrone which I have met at tastings have been broodingly powerful and full of tar and tannin. This one, whilst retaining virility, showed surprising harmony and elegance to add to its tangy, savoury fruit and firm structure; I shall certainly return to this estate during my Umbrian stay in October; 17/20++.
Côtes du Rhône Villages “Les Églantiers” 1998 – Domaine de la Réméjeanne, Syrah dominated, was still remarkably youthful and vigorous in its colour, fruit and structure but did not seem to have taken on as much complexity and secondary development as I would have liked; 15.5/20.
Côtes du Marmandais “Chante-Coucou” 2003 – Elian da Ros, made from Merlot 60%, Malbec 20% and Cabernet Sauvignon 20%, would have been a great ringer in the company of fine St. Émilion with its rich cherry brandy type fruit with decent offsetting acidity and good tannic backbone; the problems of the torrid vintage seem to have been completely mastered; 16.5/20++.
Château Fougas “Cuvée Prestige” Côtes du Bourg 2000 (estate growing Merlot 75% and CabSauv 25%) was a wine of similar style to the previous but more soft centred and closer towards cloying; 16/20.

This next cluster of Loire wines was disappointing. Saumur 2006 – Langlois-Château, from Chenin, was disappointingly thin and lacking in complexity for an offering of an estate owned by Bollinger; it only started being acceptable when cooled to about 10°C (50°F) when it showed refreshing minerality; 14/20. Saumur-Champigny “La Bretonnière” 2006 – Langlois-Château was slightly corked but I sensed underneath the wet cardboard some attractive round fruit so I will try to get another bottle from the shop (alas not automatic with all merchants in Belgium). Chinon 2007 – Domaine des Clos Godeaux had some fresh fruit marred by a resinous touch and a slightly unnatural sweetness (excess chaptalisation?); 13/20.

Luckily my faith in the Loire was restored at the admirable Norman restaurant, Le Dauphin at Breuil-en-Auge. Saumur “Les Cormiers” 2002 – Château de Villeneuve (J-P Chevallier), from Chenin, was brilliant; it seamlessly combined a certain complexity and richness of body with a most appealingly fresh minerality and an excellent shape of the palate; I believe that this cuvée sees new oak but it was only discernable by a somewhat polished patina on the finish; 17/20+. Bourgueil “Galichets” 2006 – Domaine de la Chevalerie (Caslot) showed lovely round fruit and nice grip; 16/20+.

At another Norman restaurant, where I had ordered cider, I suggested Irancy 2007 – Domaine Sainte-Claire (J-M Brocard), made from Pinot Noir, to my son-in-law but he commented on its acidity; it was rather light in colour and body but I liked its bouquet of slightly sour fresh summer fruit and its refreshingly light fruited and mineral palate with good grip; 15/20. After an outdoor dinner with the family had to be cancelled at the last minute due to their problems with an injured horse, we repaired to a pizzeria and enjoyed a purple, robustly tasty and honestly rustic bottle of Montepulciano d’Abruzzo 2007 – Farnese; 15/20++.
Not wine; but Calvados Réserve – Domaine Dupont could undermine my fidelity to Roger Groult; it combined the more obvious apple flavours of young Calvados with the smoothness, purity and finesse of greater maturity without any hint of caramelisation; 16.5/20+.

On our return after a hot drive under a brilliant sun in 30°+C (mid-80sF) temperatures, we enjoyed with a fish salad my best but last bottle of Beaujolais blanc 2007 – J-P Brun which seemed to have acquired more expressive fruit and more fat than the previous bottles; 15.5/20+++.
Last edited by Tim York on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Excellent Sagrantino, Marmandais, Saumur W with others

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Saumur 2006 – Langlois-Château, from Chenin, was disappointingly thin and lacking in complexity for an offering of an estate owned by Bollinger; it only started being acceptable when cooled to about 10°C (50°F) when it showed refreshing minerality;

Tim, what a pity. The wines at the restaurant certainly sound better!
Langlois, I have one bottle of the `02 VV left so hope that will deliver (like the others I have tasted).
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Bob, they have a more expensive cuvée which may be much better. With this one, I made the mistake of insufficient cooling initially (we have been having a few very warm days lately) and, unlike good Savennières, Vouvray and the Saumur Cormiers (the first glass at the restaurant was quite warm), it just didn't have the substance and complexity to carry it off at about 15°C. If I had started off at 10°, I might have accepted it better.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Tim York wrote:Sagrantino di Montefalco Arquata 2001 – Adanti was outstanding. .... harmony and elegance...

Definately not the first words that cross my mind when describing sagrantino, sounds like a must try. But I don't recall seeing this in the States.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 am

Tim York wrote:Bob, they have a more expensive cuvée which may be much better. With this one, I made the mistake of insufficient cooling initially (we have been having a few very warm days lately) and, unlike good Savennières, Vouvray and the Saumur Cormiers (the first glass at the restaurant was quite warm), it just didn't have the substance and complexity to carry it off at about 15°C. If I had started off at 10°, I might have accepted it better.

That is an interesting point Tim. When tasting a white, I usually have it fairly well chilled and then let it stand for half hour. Then depending on my experience, in and out of the `fridge a few times!!".
Heading out to a westend store right now, they can stock some nice Lanky-Dock as well as some Loire.