The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two from One

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

WTN: Two from One

by Chris Kissack » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:45 am

Two wines brought together by nothing more than their being poured during dinner at Number One, an admirable one-star restaurant tucked away in the basement of the Balmoral Hotel in central Edinburgh.

Dining in a large group numbering 13 in total (isn't there some superstition about 13 diners - reflecting the number at the Last Supper, perhaps?) I chose two wines, one white to match our starter (most chose scallops, although it worked fairly well although not brilliantly with my foie gras) and one red which did very well with our main course, which for most people was lamb.

First off the white, a Vouvray, in particular Huet's Le Mont Sec 2004. Selecting this from the list the sommelier warned me that I might find it to be quite sweet. "I hope not" I replied, "it is a sec after all". "Sir, it is certainly sweet" came his reply. What to do? I am geeky enough to know off the top of my head that a sec from Huet would typically carry 3-5 g/l residual sugar, but I decided that disclosing this information would (a) be unhelpful and (b) raise my pomposity-index to an unbearable level. The solution? I asked the sommelier to bring me one bottle, and if it turned out "too sweet" I would drink it anyway - the thought of a demi-sec or sweeter with my foie gras was actually quite tempting - and I would order something else for my companions. If not then we are fine.

He proceeded to bring me a completely different Vouvray (a Champalou demi-sec) from the list. Our wires were clearly crossed, and the issue was soon resolved.

Huet Vouvray Le Mont Sec 2004: A good colour, mildly rich. It opens out nicely on the nose, revealing quite quickly some very minerally, chalky notes which have great appeal. These sit alongside some reserved fruit. On the palate there is a lovely weight and balance, although it does not have the fine definition of a great vintage. Softer than expected, considering its young age, with a lovely evolving character already apparent, this is a wine that is ready for drinking now, although I am sure there is no rush. I last tasted this at the domaine in 2007 - it seems to have come on very nicely since then. Very good. 16.5+/20

Then onto the red. Teyssier is a good value red which I often find myself drinking in restaurants. It seemed to go down pretty well with this crowd too. Nevertheless, because there are at least two estates named Teyssier in Bordeaux (one in St Emilion and another in Montagne St Emilion) I asked the sommelier if it was the Malthus (St Emilion) estate. Unfortunately despite the great wines Malthus turns out, and despite being in charge of the cellar (I would assume!) this sommelier didn't know the answer. Pulling a bottle quickly answered the question though. By coincidence Jonathon Malthus (who also created Le Dôme) had been in contact only a day or two before....I subsequently emailed him to say I had chosen his 2005 this night, but I omitted any mention of our uncertain sommelier.

Chateau Teyssier (St Emilion) 2005: A deep, rich hue in the glass. The fruit is rather restrained at first, although it is certainly there; not well defined perhaps, a melange of dark forest berries, overlaid with a layer of youthful oak which still needs to be shed to gain maximum enjoyment here I think. On the palate though, there is plenty of promise. Richly textured, weighty, in keeping with the vintage, but carried along by a fine substance and acidity. Rich, somewhat savoury, and firm in the finish, this is a young wine from a very reliable estate which has plenty of promise for the future. Nevertheless, after some time in the glass, I found it worked very well with food. 17+/20
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Two from One

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:03 am

Drat, you beat me to it. I was going to link this when I was going through your blog!! All the Huet Loire-heads here will be very envious..and foie-gras too.
The Teyssier should be around these parts, today I had a glass of the `00 Lanessan. Very nice indeed.

Chris, I have 2 bottles of the `99 Huet Haut-Lieu Sec. Any thoughts when you have time, rather let others enjoy this post right now.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:43 am

I am glad the 04 Huet has been coming along. One should always expect great things from these people. Although I don't remember it being a slouch when younger.

And certainly not sweet!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:53 am

One of my great cellar mistakes is that I only purchased 2002 and 2005 Huet. While they are both fantastic vintages, I wish I had more depth in the selections.

And Bob - it's good if Chris posts his own notes! :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:29 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:One of my great cellar mistakes is that I only purchased 2002 and 2005 Huet. While they are both fantastic vintages, I wish I had more depth in the selections.

And 2004 probably tastes better than 2002 and 2005 right now.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:One of my great cellar mistakes is that I only purchased 2002 and 2005 Huet. While they are both fantastic vintages, I wish I had more depth in the selections.

Well, I've had some 2002 in recent months, and they are really good.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

Doubt it. The 2002 Huet's have been singing well since release for my palate. And miles to go, before they sleep.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Mark S wrote:Doubt it. The 2002 Huet's have been singing well since release for my palate. And miles to go, before they sleep.

Hey, sounds good. What about 2002 Foreau? I just found a bottle of demi-sec.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 pm

No idea - never bought Foreau.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark S wrote:Doubt it. The 2002 Huet's have been singing well since release for my palate. And miles to go, before they sleep.

I haven't had it but I can tell you from my note on the 1995 at age 8 that I liked it and said "Drink 2003-7."
Oops, sorry...gotta go :lol:
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:20 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

Man, I haven't had a Foreau since the 1996, and that was a moelleux (which you're welcome to try if you're in the neighborhood: I have it in my drinking que). Haven't heard much from this producer after the millenium for some reason.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Mark S wrote:Man, I haven't had a Foreau since the 1996, and that was a moelleux...

But not tasted recently? I also found a bottle of the 96 moelleux. But was somewhat afraid of opening these bottles before my (eventual) retirement.