The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: The final brews of Michigan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

BTN: The final brews of Michigan

by Keith M » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:51 pm

The last in a series on my experiences with Michigan beer as my time in Ann Arbor comes to an end. Here are the first, second, and third installments in the series.

Back to Arbor Brewing for one last call:

• Arbor Brewing Krolsch. Ann Arbor, Michigan (kölsch) on tap at Arbor Brewing - appears orange gold, smell bare orange zest, mouthfeel is firm and even, taste textured orange peel, sawdust, herbs, pointed spice, quite delicious

And a new place (to me) closer to campus was Red Hawk--I was so disappointed they didn't have the Michigan Brewing Company beer on tap listed on the menu so I went with another beer on tap:

• Short's Pandemonium Pale Ale. Bellaire, Michigan (american pale ale) - appears red caramel, thin off-white head, smell nice rounded mandarin nose, creamsicle, mouthfeel spritzy and tight, taste cool hops and pine needles, refreshing, good balance, tasty but not particularly special, a good everyman beer, I liked it, but wouldn't feel the need to seek it out, liked the friendly nose, though

My first trip to Bar Louie indicated that their beer list was heavy on macrobrews and light on Michigan beers, but my second trip was more pleasant when I discovered the photocopied very respectable list of Michigan beers, so I got a sampler of four Michigan beers:

• Arcadia Hilarious Haze. Battle Creek, Michigan (american pale wheat ale) - appears orange gold, smell nice hopsy syrup, mouthfeel rich and sweet, taste sweet hops, simple fresh buzz cut, simple boring zest of citrus, fun, but wears poorly, different though, and I appreciated that, no need to return, though
  • New Holland Golden Cap. Holland, Michigan (saison/farmhouse ale) - appears caramel gold, smell almost nothing, bare bit of the lake, something bare, mouthfeel thin with slight carbonation, taste weird piney glue, definitely different, somewhat meaty and savory, rich rounded and different, very fun, good stuff, but didn't make the biggest impression
  • Arbor Brewing Espresso Love. Ann Arbor, Michigan (oatmeal stout) - appears black with thick tan head, smell smoky bark, really nice espresso nose, mouthfeel medium with tight carbonation, great mouthfeel, taste rich slightly sweet, slight tartness underneath, this is really espresso--and a great espresso at that, delicious with fantastic balance, a very very different approach to beer, this is an amazing experience, must revisit
  • Mount Pleasant Coal Stokers Blackberry Ale. Mount Pleasant Michigan (fruit beer) - on tap as part of sampler at Bar Louie - appears darker caramel color, smell strong fruit and obvious blackberry/raspberry, pleasant, but a bit overpowering, mouthfeel overly carbonated, taste rich, sweet, a bit overdone, horrible syrupy approach, I'm sure some people prefer the syrupy sweetness, but, though I suppose I can drink one, not sure why I would. Won't return

A few more bottles, including the quite impressive and focused beers of Jolly Pumpkin from nearby Dexter--wish I had better access to these beers.

• Atwater Dunkel. Detroit, Michigan. (munich dunkel lager) crown cap on 12 ounce bottle - appears dark, smell big fruity with slight nuts, classic scwarzbier, mostly library nose, mouthfeel even and thicker, even soft bubbles, taste rich and hearty, very tasty, clean and savory at the same time, nice combo, very nice beer
  • Jolly Pumpkin Bottle-conditioned Bam Bière Farmhouse Ale Batch 337. Dexter, Michigan (saison/farmhouse ale) crown cap on 1 pint, 9.4 fluid ounce bottle - appears brownish orange with thick white head, smell blood and iron, syrah-type smells, tad of sweetness, awesome nose, mouthfeel medium thick with tons of cappuccino froth, taste clean, touches of light yeast, mandarin orange zest, clean bright and chipper, refreshing yet contemplative, outstanding beer
  • Jolly Pumpkin Barrell-aged and Bottle-conditioned La Roja Amber Ale, Blend 2,2009. Dexter, Michigan (wild/sour ale) crown cap on 1 pint, 9.4 fluid ounce bottle, 7.2% - appears bright reddish brown, smell cabernet suavignon barrels, winery, slight yeast, leather, mouthfeel heavy with slight spritz, taste rich delicious fruit, yeast, and faded barrel feel, flowers, rich but not sweet, even better on day two, carbonation is gone but flavors mell together nicely, a beer I'd age for a year or two, very enjoyable
  • Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otoño Batch 335. Dexter, Michigan. (bière de garde) crown cap on 1 pint, 9.4 fluid ounce bottle, 6.1% - appears orange amber with white head, smell warm christmas spices, sweet nutmeg, ginger, sweet cookies, really nice holiday nose, mouthfeel froth, taste warm tripelesque feel, but without any unpleasant notes of alcohol, tart yeasty thing comes in, now more evident on nose as well, clean rounded and precise, this is very very nice stuff. From producer: aged in oak barrels and bottle-conditioned, brewed with chestnuts and spices.
  • Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza. Dexter, Michigan (witbier/belgain white) crown cap on 1 pint, 9.4 fluid ounce bottle, 8% - appears bright gold, huge foamy white head, smell tart twizzlers, sour apple jolly rancher, tart and nice nose, mouthfeel big broad, sharp mouthfeel with bubbles, big feel, taste big alcohol feel upfront, very tart and very rich and very overpowering, I couldn't handle this beer, gave it to my housemate, he loved it, and I couldn't believe I wouldn't drink it after paying 12 bucks for it, I wouldn't drink this beer if it were the last on earth--almost uniquely crafted to be offensive to my tastes, others would like, not me

And one more trip to the loud and boisterous Dominick's for one more on tap.

• Arcadia Sky High Rye. Battle Creek, Michigan (rye) - appears light brownish, smell nice herbsy, strong fantastic nose, taste wonderful rich syrupy hops, rye bread and tub butter (power of suggestion), toasty, incredibly nice