The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

by David Lole » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:34 am

After trying a very disappointing (oxidised) 2000 Penfolds Reserve Bin Chardonnay earlier this evening, I opened one of my most reliable older Aussie reds - the 1983 Cape Mentelle Cabernet.

For a 26-year-old red this wine holds a remarkable deep impenetrable plummy red brown core, although there's obvious age showing when tipping the glass and viewing the wine at a shallow depth. Aromatically, this stunner is a dead ringer for a top flight left banker. Rife with weedy blackcurrants, undergrowth, damp earth, minerals, iron and blood, the bouquet literally soars from the glass, totally belying its considerable age. Likewise, in the mouth, the wine displays remarkable freshness and vitality with a quite amazing residue of plummy, blackcurrant fruit, a big lick of cedary oak and a probing herbaceousness, lively acidity and stunning lacy tannins; all superbly meshed and remarkably delineated. The finish delivers the complete package - resolute, harmonious and with an uncanny, authoritative, lengthy carry, I can't help but awarding this quite exceptional Cabernet, 95 points. Drink now - 2018. Utterly brilliant!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

by Salil » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks for that note David. Always enjoy reading about some of these older Aussie wines - although I had no idea Cape Mentelle could age like this, I was under the impression the wines were in a drink-earlier style.