The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Branaire Ducru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

WTN: 2006 Branaire Ducru

by Matt Richman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:21 am

2006 Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru)

Painfully young with sweet plummy purple fruit, some floral perfume, and some tar surrounded by hard sharp tannins. Some sweet spice, herbs, burnt woody tannins. Suave, silky with a long dark bitter finish. I look forward to seeing what this develops into years down the road.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2006 Branaire Ducru

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:20 am

Sounds like an interesting bottle. I am curious if you bought the '06 Pontet Canet as part of your exploration? I had it at a tasting a month ago & thought it very promising.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 pm

One of our kids was born in '06, so my plan is to buy a case of each Pontet Canet and Leoville Barton and save half of each for him. First I want to taste them, though.

The Pontet Canet I have now is a half bottle that I bought yes as an "exploration".
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:11 am

Matt Richman wrote:One of our kids was born in '06, so my plan is to buy a case of each Pontet Canet and Leoville Barton and save half of each for him. First I want to taste them, though.

The Pontet Canet I have now is a half bottle that I bought yes as an "exploration".

Matt,

Thanks for explaining the reason behind all of the 2006 Bordeaux tasting notes. I know that you are an experienced wine slinger, so I was starting to get bemused but confused.

Henry James said "relations never end," which means there is no accounting for associations. I got a similar kick out of yesterday's evening news report of potential misfortune, but something that turned out okay, and thus it allowed me to think it was very funny. This grandmother was shown with a couple of doting grandchildren all sitting on their sofa. She looked like she had been beaten up pretty badly, but she had actually been run over by a truck. She had gotten out of her pickup to pick something up off the road, without putting it in park, and it rolled over her, wheels and all. One of the little kids, who had stayed to comfort her while the other one ran for help, commented that Granny had nine lives, and seven left. There was a pause and the other little kid told the reporter that a school bus had run over her in the same way the year before. I don't know why that struck me as so funny, but I am still laughing about it. When I saw a second tasting note of a 2006 fine Bordeaux, I had a similar reaction. The first one was quaint, the second busted me up, like the theme was going to keep going.

With great appreciation,

Covert