The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: party for stepson's 21- Mugneret VR & Schafer-Frohlich

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: party for stepson's 21- Mugneret VR & Schafer-Frohlich

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 pm

David's 21st is next week, but we'll be away that day, so held little family dinner /presents tonight. Betsy went all out, starting with a cold tomato soup with a poached egg and fresh herbs with toast and tapenade, main course was duck breast with a red wine and demiglace sauce, salad, and a corn/avocado salad.

Apertif was the 2007 Schafer-Frohlich Kabinett (Nahe). Heavy for a Kab, but not ponderous. Ripe peaches and apples, this is Spatlese weight/sweetness, but there is a solid acidic backbone. A bit exotic, and more 2006 than 2007. Good, but I'd rather spend the extra $10 for the S-F Spatlesen. B

Duck wine was the 1988 Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanee. Now, I know 1988 is supposed to be a (comparative) lowpoint for the MG/Dr Georges M estate, with the daughters taking over and learning the ropes. Plus the village Vosne isn't supposed to be a strongpoint for estate. Well, I liked this. After a while I liked it a lot. Not a huge amount of palate depth, but ok for 21 year old village. Red cherries, raspberries, a little coffee and Vosne spices. Good acidity, no perceptible tannins, appealing. Really unwinds over about a 90 minute period, getting spicier and more complex, in the end all one could want from a village wine. I'm a happy camper. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: party for stepson's 21- Mugneret VR & Schafer-Frohlich

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 am

The Mugneret sounds quietly lovely. Congratulations to David, and to Betsy, for shepherding him all the way through!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am

Happy birthday to David!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 am

So I guess the Vosne was in honor of David? What did he think of it? Does he like wine?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Oswaldo, passed along to Betsy.

David likes wine, though not at all geeky about it. He enjoyed our visits at Jadot and Mugnier a couple years ago, and pays attention when I remind him of locations in Burgundy. He is always especially interested when I open an '88, just finds it fun it's as old as he is. His actual birthday is tonight, so gave him inexpensive '88 Bdx to have with his friends in Brooklyn