The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Five Left Coasters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

WTN: Five Left Coasters

by Clint Hall » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:26 am

2007 LORING WINE COMPANY PINOT NOIR CLOS PEPE VINEYARD You say you hate funk? I'd never tasted a Loring before, but if this clean-as-a whistle Sta. Rita Hills wine is typical Loring, I swear that's the winery for you. This one delivers sufficient pleasure to make even me forget about barnyards and forrest floors.

2001 ANDREW WILL MERLOT WALLA WALLA VALLEY SEVEN HILLS VINEYARD Except for the oak this was dead when I opened it. Just about threw away the remaining half bottle but decided to give it an overnight reprieve in a 375. Full of juicy black fruits the next day and the oak disappeared. Go figure. Still, I wouldn't make a habit of keeping AW Merlots (which I don't think they make any more) eight years.

2007 ST. INNOCENT PINOT NOIR WILLAMETTE VALLEY An early drinking food-friendly lean more or less Burgundian QPR winner (about nineteen bucks). Despite the vintage's indifferent press could it be this is typical of entry level 2007 Pinots? Let's hope so.

2008 BETHEL HIGHTS VINEYARD OREGON PINOT GRIS And let's hope this is typical 2008 Oregon Pinot Gris. At the going price of roughly $14 it's a steal.

2007 CADARETTA SBS COLUMBIA VALLEY A blend of 73 percent Savignon Blanc and 27 percent Semillon ("SBS," get it?), it makes a good case that maybe the Washington future for these two varietals is a partnership. It lacks complexity but delivers pleasing Sauvignon panache and Semillon body and mouthfeel. And good QPR, about $17.