The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 St Cosme Cotes du Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 2007 St Cosme Cotes du Rhone

by David Glasser » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:41 pm

2007 in the Southern Rhone is supposed to be legendary. Some of the CduPs and Gigondas have started to hit the store shelves, but a lot of Cotes du Rhones are already in. They've been getting a lot of good press, with many comparing some of the better ones to middling-level CduPs from more "typical" years. I picked up a few today and decided to open this one to see for myself. It supports the "common wisdom" of the greatness of the vintage. Great QPR at $13. I think it needs a little time to settle down and that it will be drinking even better in another 3-6 months.

• 2007 Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (8/12/2009)
    Dark purple. Red and black fruits, grilled meats, herbs and pepper on the nose, with a bit of sharp sulfite which might contribute to the "medicinal" character some note in this wine. Medium body, cherries and pepper on the palate, acids and tannins nicely balancing the fruit and alcohol, medium to long finish. Should last at least a few years and may improve as the sulfites are absorbed. Great value. Very good-excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2007 St Cosme Cotes du Rhone

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:57 am

Very nice. Thanks David. St. Cosme is pretty widely available as well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 am

Mr. Bueker put me on the '07 CdR bandwagon a while back. I have yet to be disappointed. I will look for the St. Cosme. Thanks again DB! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 am

David Glasser wrote:
2007 Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (8/12/2009)
Dark purple. Red and black fruits, grilled meats, herbs and pepper on the nose, with a bit of sharp sulfite which might contribute to the "medicinal" character some note in this wine. Medium body, cherries and pepper on the palate, acids and tannins nicely balancing the fruit and alcohol, medium to long finish. Should last at least a few years and may improve as the sulfites are absorbed. Great value. Very good-excellent.

Yup....I posted a note on this wine about 6 months ago. It's probably the best of the '07 CdR's I had thus far. Mostly Syrah I believe.
I thought it was a bargin at $17, here in NM.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:15 am

Had it recently----in the cellar, with the winemaker, so perhaps I was influenced somewhat. But I've always loved this winery. so I think not.

Not only is the wine great (although I wish his Gigondas was a bit more affordable; it's gotten cosmic within the last few years, gripe, gripe.), but the property is fantastic (the little museum in the old cellar is incredible), and the owner is one impressive guy.

A little photo album from my recent visit:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hoke.harden/SaintCosme?authkey=Gv1sRgCIKj9ovl9a7oUQ#
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:23 am

Looks like a great spot Hoke, makes me wish I could pay a visit...after the Loire!
Did you taste any whites when there?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Looks like a great spot Hoke, makes me wish I could pay a visit...after the Loire!
Did you taste any whites when there?

Whites and rose' too, throughout the Rhone, Bob. But the focus was really on the reds. At Saint-Cosme, definitely red focused, but yes, we did taste some white.

One special treat---which I'll probably never see again---was a thief from two barrels of Condrieu/Viognier that Louis had. He was so blown away by the fruit, that he had to buy it, and he was eager for us to taste it out of barrel. He thought it was one of the best Viogniers he'd ever had. I could see why; it was spectacular stuff. But as I said, doubt I'll ever see any in the market, and probably couldn't afford it if I ever did. It was a revelation of Viognier, though.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 am

This stuff was still going strong on day 2.

Tom, I've read that this bottling is all or almost all Syrah.

James - Macarthur's in DC has this for $13. They also carry the Deux Albion version, which is a more traditional Syrah/Grenache blend, at $17, but I haven't tried that one yet, and several of the St Cosme Gigondas bottlings, but the Gigondas are in the $50-60 range.

Hoke, those are great pics. I assume that is Louis Barruol, the owner/winemaker? Looks like a beautiful setting. Would be interesting to know what they do with some of those tools...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 am

David, thanks, I just don't get over to MacArthur's as often as I should. Maybe when they have there Fall sale I will get a few bottles. Thanks for the info.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.