The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sekt, CdR, and Clare

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Sekt, CdR, and Clare

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 pm

With a favorite of mine, chicken in peanut sauce with red cabbage, the NV Latitude 50 Spatburgunder Rose Sekt (Rheingau). Strawberries and cream (well, creamy texture if not flavors), light, bright, happy little wine. B

We've got a couple houseguests for a couple days (pianist from Betsy's trio and her daughter), Betsy made fish tacos (and some ground beef tacos for the less seafood inclined). A white and a red for people to choose from:

2007 Koonowla Riesling (Clare Valley)
Dry but with round sweet juicy fruit, a lemon-lime Sprite™-iness, some flinty mineral on finish. Fairly light, but nice value at under $15. B

2007 Delas "Esprit" Cotes du Rhone
At under $8 can't complaint about value, but I'm rather bored with this. Red fruit is sweet and a tad confected, some tannins, moderate acids, ok. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Sekt, CdR, and Clare

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 am

The Delas seems like it would be a good party wine at that price. I am on the Bueker '07 CdR bandwagon. Is the Delas CdR not up to even an $8 buy? (Is it widely available?)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Sekt, CdR, and Clare

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 am

James, I think it's typically $10ish, but both Grapes and Zachys had case sales at $90 and $99. I split with some friends. I'm ok with it at that price, just not excited or wishing I had gotten more