The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2003 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:38 am

Recommended as "old school" Napa Valley a few years ago.

This wine to me was all about the nose...a lot of things going on, from a somewhat sharp alcohol and eucalyptus note at the beginning, a soy sauce element, anise, black currant, red currant. Every sniff seemed completely different. Alcohol is veident on the nose, which is the biggest flaw.

Palate was somewhat restrained-not a monster fruit bomb. Some earthy elements, good juicy red fruit, licorice and plum, long finish. Very fine Napa Cab from an under-the radar producer. 90 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

by Brian Gilp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Very fine Napa Cab from an under-the radar producer.

I guess this statement is true for the general population but for some reason I found it funny. I have been seeking out Forman wines for years and have them back to the early 1990's in the celler. I guess I should be happy that they are generally under the radar (as well as Cathy Corison's) wines as there prices never got outrageous like so many of the cult wines did.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 pm

2001 Corison Kronos remains one of my top ten cabs of all time. Sadly, she recognizes the value and prices it "appropriately" :? :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:30 pm

I was actually thinking of the standard Corison and not the Cronos. I picked up some 99 recently at under $40/btl and am thinking of restocking on 97 since it is available in DC for $44/btl.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Recommended as "old school" Napa Valley a few years ago.

This wine to me was all about the nose...a lot of things going on, from a somewhat sharp alcohol and eucalyptus note at the beginning, a soy sauce element, anise, black currant, red currant. Every sniff seemed completely different. Alcohol is veident on the nose, which is the biggest flaw.

Palate was somewhat restrained-not a monster fruit bomb. Some earthy elements, good juicy red fruit, licorice and plum, long finish. Very fine Napa Cab from an under-the radar producer. 90 points.

03 vintage tough for the majority of producers here in the valley. I agree Forman makes one of the cabs that I'm fond of year in and year out. Forman's 04 cab is really a fine bottle of wine IMHO.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks, Lou. Will look for it.

I am fonder of some '03s than most...I love the 2003 William Harrison and the '03 Signorello is fantastic in a non-fruity way.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:45 am

Brian Gilp wrote:I was actually thinking of the standard Corison and not the Cronos. I picked up some 99 recently at under $40/btl and am thinking of restocking on 97 since it is available in DC for $44/btl.

That's probably what I would buy these days, the regular bottling. The 2000 is actually fantastic in its own right, and only 38% of the cost of 2001 Kronos.

She makes a killer Cabernet Franc, also.