The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: `97 Musar White, Lebanon.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

TN: `97 Musar White, Lebanon.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 pm

As many here know, you either like Musar or one just asks what else is on offer!! I happen to be quite a Musar-holic but I did approach this white with some reservations. Where had it been stored, would it still offer drinkability, what about possible oxidization?
Food planning took some time but I eventually came up with eggplant dip (Baba Ghanoush), humus with roasted red pepppers, pita bread and Lays original chips!
Otto thinks artichokes and smoked reindeer but they are out of season right now!!.

Good natural cork, Lot L.B.211, 12%alc, $36 Cdn. Purchased one year ago, opened and decanted for one hour. Usual blend of Obaiden and Merwah.

Color was a typical burnt orange-tinted lemon. Do not often see wines this color.

Nose had lots of orange peel and zest, apricot, nutty, some savoury/spice/herbal tones. Fellow taster thought nose not that forthcoming and hinted at possible oxidization? At time of pouring first glass, I was not so sure.

I served the wine pretty close to room temp (yeah, done some research), low acidity, some ripe fruit here, orange and peach. Does not appear oxidised (at first) or showing signs of serious decline. "Some tannin still here" from across the table and hints of butterscotch after 2 hrs.
To be honest, every sip seemed to be different. Went very well with the humus but eggplant had too much sea-salt and clashed right away. Almost gave the wine a corky taste, strange.
Towards the end of the evening, starting to show some oxid. signs and was tiring on the palate. Overall, I was impressed but kept 2 glasses for day 2.

****Staff at store downtown were intrigued when I poured. "Nose has a dry sherry quality...nice orange zest....no obvious fruit quality...low acidity". So there you have it, drink up on day 1.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: TN: `97 Musar White, Lebanon.

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 am

Except for the low acidity, sounds fascinating! Thanks for a very cool and transportational tasting note.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 am

Bob,

I am taking a 96 to Mo'Cool for tasting at the lodge, I will decant for several, (maybe 12) hours. I fully expect it to shine as it has every time I have had it. Got a 6-pack left plus some 98's, but never had the 97. BTW, I will open a bottle of the 89 red on Thursday evening. wish you could have made it this year, and it could well be my last. :-(
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Bob, Jerusalem artichokes, not artichokes! ;)

Despite its generally low acidity I have found white Musars to have good structure. They aren't flabby wines.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 am

Sorry, I stand corrected! Maybe "tired" was the wrong word, wine was still a treat.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Thanks for the note Bob. I'll have to open one of mine soon.

It certainly does seem to be an interesting wine. Do you remember the one I brought to our dinner at Normand's? The '92, if I recall correctly.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 am

Mike, great to hear from you. Was it Normands? If you refer to the Mishy do, that was Ricks Grill! Still have pics to prove it, yeah.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 am

Mishy was at both dinners, Bob. Normand's and Ric's. I checked my notes in cellartracker and it was the Norman's dinner:

Nose a little musty at first. Decanted and it blew off. Oak, vanilla, marzipan on the nose. Butterscotch and slight hints of pear on a palate, with a round mouthfeel.