The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mo'Cool volunteers needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Mo'Cool volunteers needed

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:50 pm

The Mo'Cool picnic is this coming Saturday, and I since I haven't seen a post requesting help for setup or tear down on Sunday, I am hereby posting same. I am coming in on Thursday and staying in one of the cabins and will naturally be available starting on Friday morning. (plans for Thursday night). Anyone wishing to help either Fri, or Sat, or Sun, or all three, please respond here soonest. Whether Sally sees the names here, or not, I will make sure she gets them and I know she will be appreciative. Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible on 8/15/09.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Mo'Cool volunteers needed

by OW Holmes » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:26 pm

I will be there, but only in spirit. I will miss the setup and tear down almost as much as the picnic itself. My best to all of you who attend - and support the organizers by volunteering.
-OW
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:10 pm

I hope to get there late Thursday afternoon and am available for whatever.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 pm

One of Clay's emails requested that volunteers contact Sally, which I did. Have not received a reply. But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry: I guess I can supervise! :wink:
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:24 pm

MikeH wrote: But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry: I guess I can supervise! :wink:

It will be your job to keep the glasses filled. Think you're up to it?
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:28 pm

OW Holmes wrote:I will be there, but only in spirit. I will miss the setup and tear down almost as much as the picnic itself. My best to all of you who attend - and support the organizers by volunteering.

OW..you and your lovely wife will be sorely missed by all! In fact, right now, mark "golf" and "fishing" off both your and Beth's calendars for the entire month of August 2010, just to be safe.

JB
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 pm

JuliaB wrote:
MikeH wrote: But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry: I guess I can supervise! :wink:

It will be your job to keep the glasses filled. Think you're up to it?

Well, at this point I would need the glasses and bottles brought to me!

The other problem is that I seem to be programmed more toward the "emptying glasses" side of the ledger.... :)
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Bob,

Thanks for posting this reminder. The old adage : "Many hands make work light" is so true. Setting up and tearing down is not strenuous work, and if more people show up it happens in a flash. I hope more will consider joining us..occasionally we (shh..) um..imbibe..while we do this, and no self-respecting wine lover wants to miss an opportunity for THAT! :shock:

The organizers,the "MoCooligans", put so much time, effort, and money into this event, making it the longest running offline ever, that anything to lighten their load is worthwhile.

Looking forward to seeing my old friends and hopefully making new ones.

The excitement builds..
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:51 pm

OW Holmes wrote:I will be there, but only in spirit. I will miss the setup and tear down almost as much as the picnic itself. My best to all of you who attend - and support the organizers by volunteering.

O W

You and your delightful wife will be missed. Have fun in Canada while we are having fun in Michigan.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 am

MikeH wrote:But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry:

Wow! Sorry to hear that Mike. What happened?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 am

Bob,

I will have to toast a glass to you and the others from afar. I had hoped to attend again this year but a combination of work schedule and house guests prevent me from participating in the fun. Have a wonderful time and please keep JB out of trouble.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:46 am

Dave R wrote:
MikeH wrote:But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry:

Wow! Sorry to hear that Mike. What happened?

I hyperextended my knee and strained my calf muscle and achilles tendon in early June. Major problem at the time was the achilles. Saw the doctor, went to PT for a month, went back to working out several times a week. Everything seemed okay except for some tightness on the inside of my knee, not an area that bothered me initially. At a family reunion this past weekend, I was chasing down a softball at low speed (my only gear these days) and felt a pop or two on the inside of the knee, where the tightness had been. I've been on crutches and fairly immobile since. Fortunately, I already had an appt scheduled today with the orthopedic guy...an appt that was supposed to close out the June injury case. Guess I will be opening a new incident instead.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:24 pm

MikeH wrote:I hyperextended my knee and strained my calf muscle and achilles tendon in early June. Major problem at the time was the achilles. Saw the doctor, went to PT for a month, went back to working out several times a week. Everything seemed okay except for some tightness on the inside of my knee, not an area that bothered me initially. At a family reunion this past weekend, I was chasing down a softball at low speed (my only gear these days) and felt a pop or two on the inside of the knee, where the tightness had been. I've been on crutches and fairly immobile since. Fortunately, I already had an appt scheduled today with the orthopedic guy...an appt that was supposed to close out the June injury case. Guess I will be opening a new incident instead.

Mike, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune, however supervision is always needed on any undertaking, and anyone who refuses to listen and obey your orders, just bop them with the crutch. I suppose this doesn't affect your wine drinking or eating?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:42 pm

MikeH wrote:One of Clay's emails requested that volunteers contact Sally, which I did. Have not received a reply. But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry: I guess I can supervise! :wink:

Sounds like a good time to get you out here for a game of golf. :)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 am

Dave R wrote:Have a wonderful time and please keep JB out of trouble.

Well, Dave, they had planned to give that assignment to you..but since you won't be there, all bets are off! :wink:

You will be greatly missed!
Cheers!
JuliaB
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
MikeH wrote:I hyperextended my knee and strained my calf muscle and achilles tendon in early June. Major problem at the time was the achilles. Saw the doctor, went to PT for a month, went back to working out several times a week. Everything seemed okay except for some tightness on the inside of my knee, not an area that bothered me initially. At a family reunion this past weekend, I was chasing down a softball at low speed (my only gear these days) and felt a pop or two on the inside of the knee, where the tightness had been. I've been on crutches and fairly immobile since. Fortunately, I already had an appt scheduled today with the orthopedic guy...an appt that was supposed to close out the June injury case. Guess I will be opening a new incident instead.

Mike, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune, however supervision is always needed on any undertaking, and anyone who refuses to listen and obey your orders, just bop them with the crutch. I suppose this doesn't affect your wine drinking or eating?

Thanks for the message Bob. This is the first time in my 55 years that I have been on crutches. So I am a little leery of consuming alcohol before hopping on those things!!! And eating and drinking have consequences that aren't necessarily fun when slogging about on crutches. So I have cut down on both.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
MikeH wrote:One of Clay's emails requested that volunteers contact Sally, which I did. Have not received a reply. But now I am not sure how much use I will be, I may have blown out a knee on Saturday. :cry: I guess I can supervise! :wink:

Sounds like a good time to get you out here for a game of golf. :)

LOL.....I guess that depends on what your objectives are! If you want a game, well I can't give you one now. If you're trying to get into my pocket, that's pretty easy......I don't think I could come close to playing to my 'cap......in fact, I couldn't come close to playing to anyone's handicap! :shock: I suspect my golf season may be over....unless I play some rounds in the late fall.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 am

I'll help with setup.
The bad news is that Mike H won't be there. I am taking his place in one of the cabins. I pushed my departure for AK back from VERY early Sun AM to mid-day. Unfortunately, Beth won't be there to help since she will be in Seattle visiting our daughter Karn, who moved back there last year, and I won't be able to stick around for tear down, but I WILL BE THERE.
Looking forward to seeing all my wino friends.
-OW
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:16 am

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoCool always feels like Christmas..OW coming is like Christmas and I got a pony!!!!!
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 am

My warmest wishes to all who attend Mo'Cool. Enjoy the food, the wine, the air, and most of all, the good company.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 am

Aww thank you, Rogov! Hopefully, next year, the "good company" will include YOU!

Cheers!
JB
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:My warmest wishes to all who attend Mo'Cool. Enjoy the food, the wine, the air, and most of all, the good company.

Best
Rogov

Daniel, in years past there have been more attendees, but in no year of the last 14 has there been better wines IMO. We had at least 3 and maybe another from the 60's, and all were kicking. Alan Kerr a Brit by way of Canada did his usual outstanding as chef extraordinaire. His and MY good buddy Allan Bree was key in the kitchen work, and all thoroughly enjoyed the appetizers, the dinner, and the desserts! WOW the goat curry was to die for. I have some thank you notes to write, and I am probably not up to the task of properly expressing my gratitude to both Alan and Allan and to the locals who live in the Ann Arbor area. This Daniel, is unlike any wine gathering you have ever attended, BAR NONE. if there is one in 2010, I sure hope we can entice you to come over for it.
Bob Henrick