The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What is your favorite Temp for drinking White Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

What is your favorite Temp for drinking White Wine

by Rod Miller » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:14 pm

What temperature do you like to drink your white wine at? I like it as cold as the fridge can make it around 37 degrees. What do you like?

Thanks

Rod
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: What is your favorite Temp for drinking White Wine

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Rod, Hi.....

Peronsal tastes vary and in this case yours and mine vary rather enormously. I cannot help but think that at 37 degrees Fahrenheit white wines will show no nose at all and that their flavors will be stifled (almost strangled).

My suggested temperature ranges for a drinking reds or white appear at http://www.stratsplace.com/rogov/temp_t ... _wine.html

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Rod, my preferences change with the wine and the weather. Love refrigerator-cold sauv blancs and chardonnays in summer heat for refreshment and aperitifs, but I do tend to like the more complex versions of those plus other whites, when served with food, merely very cool.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Rod, my preferences change with the wine and the weather. Love refrigerator-cold sauv blancs and chardonnays in summer heat for refreshment and aperitifs, but I do tend to like the more complex versions of those plus other whites, when served with food, merely very cool.

Agree with Jenise. When writing up TNs on whites, I always try to emphasise the temp and what changes are noted as wine airs etc. Ice cold does not turn me on!

Doris
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Depends on the white wine.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Depends on the white wine.

So as not to be flippant and expand on my answer, the diversity of white wines is really so great that I'm not even sure 'white wine' is a useful category for thinking about temperature. Personally, if they're steely and crisp then I tend to like them colder and if they are richer and thicker I can take them warmer. With everything inbetween. But I think those are pretty common preferences.

Also, I have unfortunately never been very good with knowing the exact degree at which things are served.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks for the specificity. Perhaps there is a professional tasting temperature and a summer evening relaxation temp. Something about the phrase cool, crisp, and white that makes me want to move into relaxation mode. Whites cold bring out the citrus acid and less of the alcohol influence.

Rod
Last edited by Rod Miller on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Rod Miller wrote:Whites cold bring out the citrus acid and less of the alcohol influence.

Rod

The alcohol is definitely less noticeable as it gets cooler but if it gets too cold then the citrus flavors are also difficult to find. Although again, I don't really know how to put precise numbers to these things.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:44 pm

I like my white wines rather cold as well, probably colder than they deserve but that's my personal preference. I don't know the exact temperature, but generally if I'll pull out a 55 degree bottle it's too warm. If I pull a bottle out of the fridge it's too cold. In the one case I have plastic ice cubes and I'll throw one in the glass. In the other case I can just warm the wine in the glass.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:45 am

I like whites mostly in the 53 to 57 deg F area (12 - 14 deg C) because that's when, for me, all the aromas and flavors stand out best. Too cold and there are often no aromas to speak of and the wine can taste very acidy with little fruit, though it depends on the wine, of course. On a really warm day, wine can warm up quickly in the glass and bottle (if sitting out), so I do sometimes go for a cooler serving temperature then. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:46 am

For me it depends on the wine. I've always considered Chardonnay to be the most "red" of whites, as is the only white to often get treated like a red - malo-lactic, oak aging, etc. In fact, I would serve Gamay and Chardonnay at the same temperature - about 55F. Other dry whites about 50F, off dry whites about 45F and bubblies about 40F.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 am

Perfect! That range works very well for me too, Bonnie. I agree with what others are saying about circumstances and specifics altering cases, but in general, if the white wine is good enough to enjoy, it's not going to show best at taste-bud-numbing temperatures. In the restaurant, I invariably reject the ice bucket. At home, I'll take the white wine out of the refrigerator 30 minutes to an hour before dinner.

Bonnie in Holland wrote:I like whites mostly in the 53 to 57 deg F area (12 - 14 deg C) because that's when, for me, all the aromas and flavors stand out best. Too cold and there are often no aromas to speak of and the wine can taste very acidy with little fruit, though it depends on the wine, of course. On a really warm day, wine can warm up quickly in the glass and bottle (if sitting out), so I do sometimes go for a cooler serving temperature then. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:14 am

My wine drinking rule as mentioned in another post last week - reds go in the refrigerator 20 minutes before drinking and whites come out 20 minutes before drinking. My 'fridge is set at 37 degrees. Also, I do not keep my white wine on ice during the meal, a simple terracotta bottle holder is all it needs and I ask waiters not to ice it down either.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:At home, I'll take the white wine out of the refrigerator 30 minutes to an hour before dinner.

Wow. You must have a cool house :wink:

An hour in my apartment and any white wine would be much too warm, even for me.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 am

I have no idea what the temperature of my wines are served at and no intention of buying one of those wine thermometer gizmos.

I can tell when I put it in my mouth whether its too warm or too cool -- for me :).

Generally I like my whites colder in hot weather. Always rather have too cold than too warm as it'll soon warm in the glass and you can then experience that development of flavour as it comes up to a good temp.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:51 am

Cheap whites intended to be drunk in hot weather without getting in the way of the conversation - fridge.

Anything with any pretensions to quality, straight out of the cellar (55 deg).

I find that people - and restaurants - tend to over chill whites until you can't discern much at all unless you let them warm up. Bad!

And in North America, at least, people tend to over-warm their red wines. Go figure!
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:05 am

At breakfast.
With oysters.
Shared with a gorgeous babe.

Alex R.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:07 am

AlexR wrote:At breakfast.
With oysters.
Shared with a gorgeous babe.
Alex R.

So - HOT - is you answer.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 am

Jon,

I'll tell you what I did... I read "temp" and understood "temps", or "time" in French, thinking this was referring to the time of day.

Please excuse the franglais confusion:

All the best,
Alex
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:01 am