The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My first varietal Carignan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: My first varietal Carignan

by Saina » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 pm

I have only come across this grape in blends, so I had to try a varietal example when I saw one! I do wonder if this was representative of the grape and if so, what it brings into a blend? It seemed otherwise so generically sweet as to go for Grenache and so tannic that might not Mourvèdre cover up the structure part in a blend?

Gérard Bertrand Réserve Spéciale Carignan Vieilles Vignes 2007 - Languedoc, Vin de Pays de l'Aude; 11,49€; 13% abv; synthetic cork.

Deep, purplish colour. An almost jammy scent of red berries. It gains a pleasantly savoury edge with a little air. The alcohol, though quite modest for a Southern French wine, does show rather too much (and just for the conspiracy theorists: our monopoly actually checks that the label is within EU standards of +/-0,5% before allowing it to be sold in Finland, so the label's 13% can be presumed accurate to that degree!). Sweet fruit, at first so overwhelmingly so that it seemed like a structureless blob. But it firmed up very well with a little air and ended up pleasantly firm and tannic - I wonder how such a transformation can happen? Perfectly decent and inoffensive if nothing special - a bit obvious, boring and unexciting but still perfectly drinkable, i.e. exactly what I expect from the South at this price in Finland.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: My first varietal Carignan

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:33 am

Otto, not too bad an effort there. I will have to look up my Carignan notes. Feel sure I have some here!

Lanky-Dock lover Bob.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: My first varietal Carignan

by Tim York » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:11 am

There is an excellent Carignan cuvée made by Aupilhac on which I wrote a WTN some time ago but the Sardinian Terre Brune 1994 was something extra special viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18654&p=159641&hilit=terre+brune#p159641 although you might not like its residual oak patina.
Tim York