The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you ever chill red wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Do you ever chill red wines?

by Tim York » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:04 am

Jenise wrote:For those of you who advocated Loire CF's, this is a very surprising reccomendation. Don't think it would apply to the Joguets, Raffaults and Baudrys that are my faves, would it?

It depends on the type. The more age-worthy cuvées from those producers you mention are structured and shine at around 17-18°C (c. 64°F) but the lighter fruitier cuvées, often from sandy sites, benefit IMHO from the freshness of a lower temperature (around 15°C). These wines for early drinking make up the majority of Loire CabFranc production but not perhaps of those that make it to the USA.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:44 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Paul B, that is of interest to me as I am a big Foch fan, along with Bill out there in the west. Must give it a try next time I open one.
Hum, what about Baco Noir? Right now I think..doubt it?

Hiya Bob!

Well, it will work too ... though Baco tends to be much more acidic than Foch (which has a good acid/tannin balance IMO), so try it and see if you like the results. Frankly, I sometimes like Baco at ambient temperature a bit more, but I haven't chilled one down in a long time so I'll have to get back to you on it sometime :idea:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:What I am about to say will be perceived by some as out-and-out heresy but with quite a few country-style wines I will follow the provincial and quite appealing tradition of adding an ice cube or two to my glass. Indeed, it does dilute the wine but lawsy, lawsy, it can make such wines so very refreshing.

Oh Daniel,
My mother will be so delighted to know she is not alone. She is 82 and if she wants to put ice in her wine to cool it off a touch, who is to say that is wrong? I do consider what wines I open for her with the ice cube in mind. :)

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:34 pm

For Liz and me, most red wine goes in the cooler for 20 minutes before drinking and most whites come out of the cooler 20 minutes before drinking.
Previous