The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Rhones From The Weekend...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Four Rhones From The Weekend...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Went two for four this weekend:
1. Odisea Angele Calif (14.3%; 196 cs; 35% Marsanne/35%Roussanne/30% Viognier) 2008: Med.dark gold color; very rich/lush floral/very ripe/peachy/honeysuckle bit toasted/coconutty nose; soft/rich/lush/very ripe very peachy/floral/honeysuckle slight toasted coconut flavor; long very ripe/floral/peachy/honeysuckle slight alcoholic finish; loads of very ripe fruit; big/fat/rich bit porky RhoneBlanc that I liked quite a bit. $21.00
2. LaChirapada NewMexico WTW MimbresVlly Viognier (13%) 2008: Colorless; very light pear weak Viog slight earthy very little nose; soft bit earthy very light/vaguely fruity bit off-dry rather vapid flavor; very short soft/fat weakly fruity almost no finish; no Viog character and only vaguely fruity; a totally vapid wine. Way overpriced at $20.00
3. AlainGraillot Crozes-Hermitage Blanc (12.5%) 2008: Light gold color; slight earthy rather appley/Marsanne slight floral/pear/carnations slight valve oil pleasant/simple nose; tart bit lean/minerally/earthy light appley/floral slight metallic/valve oil flavor; med.short light earthy/minerally light appley/floral finish; rather simple/innocuous but probably needs another yr or so to develop. $30.00
4. RobertMondavi PrivateSelection Syrah Calif CentralCoast (13.5%; http://www.RMPrivateSelection.com) Woodbridge/CA 2005: Med.color w/ slight bricking; pleasant/blackberry/Syrah some mucilage/oak/smokey/weird bit aged nose; tart rather tannic/hard/lean bit dried out some earthy/blackberry/Syrah bit redwood/tanky/old-timey slight mucilage/pungent flavor; med. hard/tannic/lean old redwood tanky/old-timey/mucilage/funkky slight blackberry/Syrah finish; an imbarassment to the Syrah variety; way overpriced at $20.00
1. Odisea: The is a new operation, with offices in Danville. The wines were made up in Murphys/Calveras but I understand they're now made in the NapaVlly.Principals are AdamWebb & Mike Kuenz. Based out of Danville. Sourcing grapes primarily from Lodi. This wine had the softness and fatness you'd expect from a Lodi White, but had a lot of ripe fruit and was fairly interesting. Have a complete set of their wines I'll be tasting soon.
2. LaChiripada: this is a small/tiny wnry located up in Dixon, here in Northern NM. The grapes come from the MimbresVlly down near the town of Deming; a torridly hot desert area of Southern NM. Paola grows a lot of Italian varieties and some other unusual stuff. I didn't expect much from this wine....it delivered in spades. One of the most truly vapid wines I've ever had. Makes the $2Chuck Chard taste like a GrandCruChablis.
LaChiripada makes some decent/good/interesting wines...this is certainly not one of them.
3. Graillot: I was expecting a lot more from this wine. Not unpleasant but not deliver much RhoneBlanc/stoney character. Marsanne tends to be pretty underwhelming early-on, so I expect this wine will show a bit more in a yr or so. But I'm not agonna gamble at $30.00.
4. Mondavi: I was assured from the label that this was a "PrivateSelection" especially selected from Robert's private stash. My-oh-my.... I would hope he drinks better than this. It seemed aged way before its time (NeoCork stopper) and a lot of old-time/tanky/jug-wine character.
In the FWIW category....the Mondavi CentralCoastSelection series of wine was developed some time ago by.....shhhhhh....one SteveLagier. Please go easy on him!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Four Rhones From The Weekend...(short/boring)

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Hey, the Graillot IS a Rhone (ducking)

I'm not a big white Rhone drinker, but even taking that into account have never been that impressed with the Graillot white, though I love both red Crozes.