The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner wines - Oz and France

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Dinner wines - Oz and France

by Jay Labrador » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:30 am

Notes from Saturday night dinner.

Leeuwin Art Series Riesling 2006 - I'm generally not a fan of Australian Riesling but this is one Riesling done right. Light and lemony with a lemon zest flavor in the slightly bitter finish. This has just a touch of ripe fruit to offset the acidity. Nice and easy.

Owen Wines Yarra Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 - This was a sample bottle given to me by Aaron. Very dark. Dusty earth. A little spicy. Good varietal character with some good acidity to hold the wine together. It's enjoyable now as the tannins are rather soft. A good, solid wine

Mount Langi Ghiran Langi Shiraz 2004 - The 1999 of this wine impressed me very much a month or two ago when it beat a Penfolds St. Henri 1997 and a Penfolds RWT 1997 in a blind tasting. Deep purple. Rich espresso. Soft tannins. Good acidity on the long finish.Could use a couple of years to round out although it can be enjoyed now.

Chateau d'Aiguilhe 2005 - Classic cedar nose. Rich, dense, quite dry. A little bitter. This needs more time in the bottle or serious time in a decanter if you want to enjoy it now.

Chateau Clerc-Milon 2004 - Dark, rich, sweet, ripe fruit. Lovely balance. Stately, majestic, self-confident wine. Coffee and classic cigar-box nose. Good length. Dry finish. Still a bit tannic so it could probably improve a bit more but this is textbook stuff. Excellent.

Chateau Coutet 2003 - Medium to dark gold. Burnt sugar and orange marmalade. Medium-bodied. Not an exceptionally sweet Barsac but rather more easy-going. Very enjoyable now but will no doubt continue to age well.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.