The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another event, another heatstroke.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Another event, another heatstroke.

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:45 pm

This time it was the Carlton Walk in the Park. Not quite so many wineries as last week's IPNC, but a good array of locals. temperature - 97.

Here are the wineries (There's a secret code - see if you can deduce which wines I liked):

Anne Amie
Barking Frog
Belle Pente
Cana's Feast Winery
Carlo & Julian
Carlton Cellars
Carlton Hill Wine Company
Carlton Winemaker's Studio
Cliff Creek Cellars
Elk Cove Vineyards
Folin Cellars
The Four Graces
Ghost Hill Cellars
Hawkins Cellars
Ken Wright Cellars
Kramer Vineyards
Monks Gate Vineyard
Penner-Ash
Resonance
Saké One
Scott Paul Wines
Seven of Hearts
Solena Cellars
Soter Vineyard
Stag Hollow Wines
The Tasting Room
Tera Vina Wines
Barbara Thomas Wines
Troon
Twelve
Tyrus Evan
Sejourne Wines
Zenas
McMenamins

The IPNC organizers could learn a thing or two from this little Carlton event. Firstly, all the wineries were in a big long, well-shaded tent with FANS inside.

It's actually a nifty event. A classic car show is at the perimeter - I liked the straight 8 Packard, the Model T "Woody" and the neat old Chrysler.

There was a band, the appropriately named "Boomer Band featuring the Boomettes". They were all at least boomers. Played rock and roll from the 50s and 60s along with a few original tunes. The Boomettes were two "girls" who sang, played the saxophone and danced. One actually played the baritone sax.

A few of the same suspect restaurants that were at the IPNC event were in evidence here also.

Lots of artists also display their wares at this shindig.

I enjoyed it.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Another event, another heatstroke.

by John Treder » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 pm

I learned how to drive in a straight-8 Packard. A '49 with sowbug styling.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:29 pm

The Packard was my favorite. It was older than that, though, boxier. My favorite ever was in the film Cotton Comes to Harlem. It was a real beauty.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:56 am

Been a rough summer up there. It's not often that we get calls from friends in Portland talking about temperatures that are expected to be 17° hotter than here!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:30 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Been a rough summer up there. It's not often that we get calls from friends in Portland talking about temperatures that are expected to be 17° hotter than here!

Yeah, the dishes some of the restaurants chose to present at the event yesterday seemed a little odd to me. It was between 95 and 100 the entire time I was there. My car thermometer read 101 when I left. Nick's Cafe was serving piping hot Crab Lasagna.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:49 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Been a rough summer up there. It's not often that we get calls from friends in Portland talking about temperatures that are expected to be 17° hotter than here!

Yeah, the dishes some of the restaurants chose to present at the event yesterday seemed a little odd to me. It was between 95 and 100 the entire time I was there. My car thermometer read 101 when I left. Nick's Cafe was serving piping hot Crab Lasagna.

Oof. reminds me of trying to eat Paella when the temperature is 104 in the shade this summer. Although, I'll agree with Mike, this has been one of the most consistently moderate summers in a long while-at least inland. I can still (at 11:00 am) see fog here in Fairfield from my office window. 50 miles inland from the ocean.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:54 pm

I know something of summers in your turf. I lived just outside Concord for about a decade. But, I never expected to encounter this kind of weather here in the Willamette Valley.