The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 nice 2007s (Nahe and Burgundy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 nice 2007s (Nahe and Burgundy)

by Dale Williams » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:01 pm

A friend came by to trade some wine, I offered a glass of the 2007 Schafer-Frohlich "Bockenauer Felseneck" Riesling Spatlese. I had tried the Halenberg from this vintage, and found it wild and exotic, but compelling. This is more demure, but equally good to my tastes. Floral nose. Sweet Bing cherry, crisp lime and clementine flavors, long and luscious. Plenty of acidity, this is tangy and vibrant. Sure this would age just fine (and tastes fine today after night in fridge), but think I'll get more and drink it soon! A-

I had defrosted some CR sockeye, and marinated it in leftover yakitori sauce. Rain kept me from grilling, so I broiled, and served with salad and assorted leftover vegetables (corn, cabbage, and chard). Dinner wine was supposed to be the 2007 Bart "Les Champs Salomon" Marsannay. Nice wine, but something in the sweet yakitori sauce clashed a bit, so I switched back to Riesling. After dinner revisited the Burg, nice mid to lightweight pinot. Sappy red fruit, earth, good length, kind of a ferric mineral note on finish. Not a big wine but with a sense of structure and good grip for the level. Wish I had tried with a pork chop or roast chicken but fine by itself. Will see tonight, but worth getting more. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: WTN: 2 nice 2007s (Nahe and Burgundy)

by Mark Kogos » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Dale

It is nice to read about your Halenberg 07 comments. I put away a few of these for another day.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: 2 nice 2007s (Nahe and Burgundy)

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:58 pm

I enjoy the Bart Les Champs Salomon (although I probably haven't had one since the 2002 vintage) and usually pick up a couple of bottles at Chambers St., but I don't see that they have it in stock. Did I miss out or are they not carrying it anymore?
Diane